editing clips from commercial DVDs

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by johnglove, Nov 1, 2006.

1. johnglove macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2006
    This will seem like a newbie question... it is.

I'm putting together a lecture and I want to easliy move between different clips from various commercial DVDs that I've bought and paid for... I have downloaded Mac the Ripper but am having problem with the issue of VOBs and the software available on Mac.

What I want to do:

1) extract clips from commercial DVDs (that I own) to put together as seperate chapters on a new DVD which I will burn on my computer so that during my lecture I can play the different chapters.

2) hopefully do this in a process which is not too complicated or lengthy

3) ideally using downloaded free software and what is included on my MAC (iDVD, Mac the Ripper, etc.)

If anyone has suggestions/ideas I would really appreciate it. Also, thanks for tolerating a newbie question. :)
  2. danpunch macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2006
  3. thworple macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2005
    Sussex, England
    The freeware version of dvdxdv has restrictions on it (I seem to remember it being a watermark, and some exporting restrictions) but the price for the full version is only around $25 (for the non-pro version. Its still great, and gives you more than enough for what you will need it for) - its well worth it!
  4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2004
  5. Rasheem macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2006
    just rip with handbrake in the first place. Rip into avi or mp4 and your good to go with imovie and idvd!