Editing DVD footage in FCPHD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jtsimler3, Sep 2, 2004.

1. jtsimler3 macrumors member

jtsimler3

Hi. I'm a recent G5 buyer, and I also got FCP HD with my new computer. I'm an aspiring video editor at UT, and just had a quick question.

Is there a way to import an entire movie from a commercial dvd (ex. Spider-Man) into FCP so I can put it to music, etc?

I would just like to use the footage for exercise purposes, so I can get some practice. I have no intention of illegally duplicating them.

I have Handbrake, the ripping software, but unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't get FCP to recognize anything. Quicktime plays the mp4 file, but I'm pretty sure FCP won't. I can also rip as an avi file, but those don't seem to work either.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there another software I need to download/buy?

Thanks a bunch!

2. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Also curious about this...

One ridiculous hack would be to hook up a dvd player to eyeTV 200, as it now has the ability to export MPEG elementary streams.

-RS

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Do you have Quicktime pro? If quicktime can play it, can't you just export it from quicktime in the format you want?

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If he bought FCPHD, it came with a QT Pro authorization too.

Open it in QuickTime, and select Export from the file menu.
    Select 'Movie to QuickTime Movie'.
    Click the Options button.
    In Video Settings... select DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, and make note of the number of Frames per second.
    Set the Quality to Best.
    Set the Video Size... to 720 wide and 480 high.
    Put the Sound Settings... to None Compressed. Rate 44.100, 16 bit, Stereo.
    Don't worry about the Internet Streaming area.
    Click OK as needed to save the file wherever you want.

Now you are ready to take it into FCPHD! :eek:
    In FCPHD, start a New Sequence.
    Right Click (Control Click) the new sequence and select Settings...
    In the General tab, make sure that Frame Size is set to 720x480 with an Aspect Ratio of NTSC DV (3:2)
    Pixel Aspect Ratio: NTSC - CCIR 601 / DV
    Don't worry about Field Dominance
    Editing Timebase (Set this to that Frames per second number you noted from QT Pro)
    Compressor: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
    Quality 100%

Import the Converted QT Movie File, and edit to your hearts content.

Gee I hope that all works. :eek:

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

This is exactly What I do and it works great.

6. jtsimler3 thread starter macrumors member

jtsimler3

Thanks!!

I got it to work, finally, and everything's up and running. Appreciate everyone's support.

7. jtsimler3 thread starter macrumors member

jtsimler3

So I just finished a quick video exercise with a burned dvd, but I'm having a problem. Once I export, I can get the huge 26 GB movie file off my computer. However, when I export, the video skips and looks completely awful. Does anyone know if I'm doing anything wrong? It looks fine in Final Cut Pro.

8. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    what settings are you using for exporting the final version? 26GBs seems like an awful lot, that's a lot more than the size of a DVD.

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I may be totally off the wall here, but it's worth a shot. Since Spiderman was filmed at 24fps wouldn't it have to be edited in FCPHD in 24fps mode? I'm not even sure how you do that, I've only just started using FCP and I haven't gotten that far yet. Just a thought...

10. jtsimler3 thread starter macrumors member

jtsimler3

I'm sorry, I was a little unclear in my post. What I meant was, the actual dvd file (in this case, the entire movie of The Passion of the Christ) takes up 26 GB. I edited my video down to 4 min of it, but if I delete the movie (26 GB), FCP will not know how to handle it, since it only runs on timecode.

The actual 4 min I want to export will probably be around a Gig or less. Once that's done, I can delete the Passion (the 26 GB) in its entirety.

11. jtsimler3 thread starter macrumors member

jtsimler3

Regarding the other post, you might be right, but I was under the impression that since it was released on DVD, they converted it to video using the 3:2 pulldown, which basically means that a 24 fps film is now a 30 fps video.

When I export the 4 min video, I think I'm only having problems with the rendered areas (most notably fades).

Thanks for everyone's help. If anyone has a solution, it's greatly appreciated.

12. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

After you export the final product and check that it plays, then you can get rid of all the junk. Now, is this for film class or just fun?

13. jtsimler3 thread starter macrumors member

jtsimler3

This is just for fun. And yes, I understand that I can get rid of the junk after, but the problem I'm having is the export process. The video skips and jumps during the fades I applied.

14. jtsimler3 thread starter macrumors member

jtsimler3

15. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

I'm guessing the reason is because the G5 is not officially supported under FCP 3. It could also be because FCP 3 is only supported under Quicktime up to 6.2. Source: Final Cut Pro: Compatible Configurations

Edit: oops i just re-read the topic, i thought you said you were using 3, but that must've been a different topic i was reading. Sorry, I don't really have any ideas, maybe try exporting it to a different format.

16. Biker21098 macrumors member

hope this helps.

sounds like you didn't render, you might be doing realtime during playback, when its time to export or print to video it may not be rendering, i know print to video makes you render, but I don't believe export does. that might be the issue.
    I use FCP all the time, but all with straight DV footage, and I don't have near the power of a G5, so i usually render most things, can't get away with it unless I do.

17. jtsimler3 thread starter macrumors member

jtsimler3

Okay. Things are starting to get tricky now. On the render line (the tiny line above the timeline), all my fades and dissolves were in green. I thought that meant they were already rendered. I guess I was wrong. Before, when I would export to QT movie, the skipping during those fades would happen. Sometimes the video jumps, sometimes other frames i didn't even include in the sequence suddenly show up (which makes no sense to me). However, everything worked fine in FCP.

Now the new problem: After rendering everything, not only does the QT movie still jump and add random frames, but my sequence file in FCP is doing it too.

I'm officially confused. Thanks for you help! Although now it looks as though I've taken a step backwards :) Any ideas?

18. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

i know that the export process does in fact render, which explains why it happened in the exported version, and now happens playing in FCP too.