Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I am trying to edit the host file to point to saurik's server so I can downgrade my iPhone from 4.0 to 3.1.3 but when I edit it and then try to save it I get an error saying I don't have the permissions go to the file then get info and check the permissions.

When I do this and change it so I can read/write to the file then I try to edit it again and save I just get the same error message?

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Sudo

If you're not logged in as root (which you should be), then you will need to use the "sudo" command before the editor, such as "sudo vi hosts".

You can also try copying (the "cp" command) the hosts file to another folder, editing it, then copying it back (also possibly with the sudo command before it).

In short, you shouldn't have upgraded to 4.0 if you still wanted your phone jailbroken.

-Aaron-

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
How are you trying to edit it? I usually do it through Terminal,

Code:
sudo nano /etc/hosts
You could also download TextWrangler and edit the file. It will prompt for the admin credentials to save it.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
If you're not logged in as root (which you should be), then you will need to use the "sudo" command before the editor, such as "sudo vi hosts".

You can also try copying (the "cp" command) the hosts file to another folder, editing it, then copying it back (also possibly with the sudo command before it).

In short, you shouldn't have upgraded to 4.0 if you still wanted your phone jailbroken.

-Aaron-

I know.

I have found a way to downgrade to 3.1.3 jailbreak it with Spirit and then pwn your iboot and lib files so you can then use Pwnage tool to jailbreak iOS 4.

How are you trying to edit it? I usually do it through Terminal,

Code:
sudo nano /etc/hosts
You could also download TextWrangler and edit the file. It will prompt for the admin credentials to save it.

Thanks I done it through Terminal and it worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.