Editing Host File?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by RossMc, Jun 26, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

RossMc

I am trying to edit the host file to point to saurik's server so I can downgrade my iPhone from 4.0 to 3.1.3 but when I edit it and then try to save it I get an error saying I don't have the permissions go to the file then get info and check the permissions.

When I do this and change it so I can read/write to the file then I try to edit it again and save I just get the same error message?

2. macrumors 65816

aarond12

Sudo

If you're not logged in as root (which you should be), then you will need to use the "sudo" command before the editor, such as "sudo vi hosts".

You can also try copying (the "cp" command) the hosts file to another folder, editing it, then copying it back (also possibly with the sudo command before it).

In short, you shouldn't have upgraded to 4.0 if you still wanted your phone jailbroken.

-Aaron-

3. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

How are you trying to edit it? I usually do it through Terminal,

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/hosts
    You could also download TextWrangler and edit the file. It will prompt for the admin credentials to save it.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

I know.

I have found a way to downgrade to 3.1.3 jailbreak it with Spirit and then pwn your iboot and lib files so you can then use Pwnage tool to jailbreak iOS 4.

Thanks I done it through Terminal and it worked fine.