Editing iTunes Purchased video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TaKashMoney, Jul 17, 2006.

1. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2005
    The title pretty much says it all. I would like to edit some clips on a tv show purchased from the iTMS. iMovie cleary doesnt recognize the format. Any suggestions of a workaround- perhaps compressing the video into a .mp4 format? Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
  2. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    On an island in Maine
    I doubt you'll get any answers here, as cracking the copy-protection on iTMS movies amounts to copyright infringement and is very much against this sites rules.
  3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Well, you could try playing the video through the Apple S-video adapter and capture it using a DV camcorder without breaking the DRM and violating the Terms of Service you agreed to while buying the item from iTMS. However, simple Marcovision might still stop you from doing that.

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
  5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    Actually, the community tends to frown heavily on software pirating (Apple or otherwise), but tends to be pretty accepting of opening up one's own music/video.

Ditto for Snapz Pro.
  6. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    If I were to want to edit a piece of video that I had legally acquired, entirely within the scope of Fair Use and not for any purpose of copyright infringement...

...as a last resort, if all else failed, I'd open the segment in QTPro and export it as an image sequence, 29.97 frames per second. I'd then recombine that image sequence back into a movie using QTPro.

Sound would be lost during this process, but it would be a trivial matter to use FCP or something to extract a sound file from the original source material and recombine the extracted sound file with the newly created movie.
  7. REDSRT4 macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2006
    it takes some work, not really worth the time but it can be done, i have a friend at work that has done it, but he said it takes time, not sure what program he used though