Editing ogm and mkv containers

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Aika, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Aika macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2006
    Some of the anime I have comes in mkv or ogm containers with a subtitles file and English and Japanese voice tracks. What i'd like to do is make the subtitles fixed into the video file (so that I don't have to manually enable subtitles each time) and delete the English voice track (to save space and so that it automatically plays the Japanese voice track).

Does anyone know of a OS X application (or failing that, a Windows one as a last resort) that will allow me to do this in a speedy manner? It would have to be freeware or no more than around $30.
  2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
    mkvtoolnix from the command line could do this but you have to be kinda familiar with Terminal.
  3. penter macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2006
    yes, i believe there is a way to do it. i havent tried messing with subtitles and stuff, but it looks as if it should work.

with this app you can demux the .ogm file, that is, you can separate the audio, the the video, and the subtitles. then you can use FFmpegX (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8988) to combine the files you want into a single .avi.

this not only gets rid of your .ogm file (which ppl have been hassling with for quite a while), but customizes the subtitle and audio how you want it to be :)

go here if you have any questions: