Editing 'Open With...' Contextual Menu

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by michaelrjohnson, Aug 17, 2005.

1. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Greetings MR!

While within another thread, a specific question arose several times, but never got addressed before the thread died.

Problem:
    If you have the Adobe Creative Suite installed on your machine, and select "Open With..." you will get a rediculously long list of Photoshop mini-apps to open the file with. It's a huge inconvenience having to wade through a whole long list of useless Photoshop .exe's to get to the program I want.

[​IMG]
    Screenshot courtesy: neocell

Solution?
    Is it possible to edit this menu to eliminate those volumes of Photoshop .exe programs? I've never attempted deleting them entirely for fear of how Photoshop may behave. Is it possible just to delete them? How could we exclude them from the 'Open With...' menu?

Any help is much appreciated by myself and many other MR members!

2. mcmillan macrumors 6502

I have the exact same problem, and I can't find a solution :(

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I find it annoying too. Learned to live with it I guess. You could always archive the .exe and delete the originals.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

That is really annoying. I've spent some time trying to figure out how to edit the Open With menu and I haven't found anything either. Let me know if you find anything!

5. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Yeah, the worst part is that it takes a few seconds to load the menu in my Mac Mini.

6. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Based on the replies thus far, this is an issue for many people. Lacero provided the solution to just delete the Photoshop .exe's, as I had mentioned in the original post. However, does anybody have any experience whether or not this adversely affects the performance of Photoshop?

7. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I don't know about deleting the exe files and it's effects on photoshop but I've found a couple of older apps that allowed you to create contextual menus for applications used, to re-arrange the order, but not to delete the listings (Zingg!, see FAQ for deleting issues). Apparently it has something to do with the system accessing each app's info.plist file see if it should be associated with the file in question see link and quoted text link.
    Now, I'm the first to admit that I don't know much about computer operating systems and software underpinnings but I would image that there has got to be someway to work around this so that the 'open with' menus could be changed. Anyone?

8. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks neocell! That really went a long way in providing an explanation and initial fix for the issue.

So MacRumors UNIX geeks and code-heads: Is there a more user-friendly option out there?

9. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

SOLUTION

Well, I think I may have found a solution to this issue. After inspecting how the .exe's were being used, and where they were located, I determined that they are not a crucial part of Photoshop/Illustrator functionality.

The files are located within the directory "Applications/Photoshop CS2/Samples/Droplets/..." The fact that they reside within the samples directory led me to my initial conclusion. What I did, to remove them from the menu, while avoiding deletion was right-click the "Droplets" folder, and select "Create Archive of 'Droplets'...". This compressed all of those applications into a .zip located within the "Samples" directory. As soon as they are not "available" anymore, the "Open With..." menu does not recognize them as options.

I have been able to remove them (with the above method) and re-instate them instantly by unzipping the "Droplets.zip" file. It's a non-destructive method that produces instant results.

Below is my Before and After:

Attached Files:

10. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Thank you so much.. you solved your own problem :p ... I'll do the .zip thing tomorrow morning.

11. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Thank you :)

It's not often that I can do that, so I'm really glad to be able to share!

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Yeah, you pretty much came to the same end result like that I suggested on #3.

13. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

For some reason it didn't really register then. :eek: But you're correct. Good work Lacero!

14. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Thanks to both michaelrjohnson and Lacero for help solving this annoyance

15. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Oh I didn't see that, thank you too then :D

16. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Excellent. Best nugget I've scooped up here in weeks. Thanks guys.

17. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I don't have this problem, even though I have Photoshop installed. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary, and I certainly haven't modified that samples/droplets folder. I wonder what the difference is.

Attached Files:

18. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

That is interesting. Perhaps it was an option in the Install that either you or I selected/deselected? I dont' remember my install...

19. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Do you have the various exe files in your Applications/Photoshop CS2/Samples/Droplets/ folder?