Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
What is the secret to this?!

Every time I try make a new thread and then want to go back later and edit the title or mark the prefix as Resolved that section disappears!

Doesn't matter what browser or computer.

Is there something I am not doing or am I under the mistaken impression that this is possible?

I am tired of bothering the mods to change thread titles and I am sure they are tired of me asking them.

How do I do this?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Do you see a gear icon with a dropdown arrow next to it at the top of the thread? Click that to show the Thread Tools dropdown, then select Edit Title.

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 8.26.29 AM.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Do you see a gear icon with a dropdown arrow next to it at the top of the thread? Click that to show the Thread Tools dropdown, then select Edit Title.

View attachment 630247
No. Never seen that.

This is all I ever see…

Firefox.png

Note that I do have the Rich Text Editor off, but turning it on does not cause this gear you mention to display.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011

View attachment 630247
OOHHHHH!!!!

I see it now! It's not in the Edit Post settings, it's at the top of the post itself!!!

Why would it not be in the Edit Post settings?!! Very unintuiative!
[doublepost=1462545404][/doublepost]
You don't need to edit the post. Go to the very top of the thread, where the initial post is. You want the the thread tools not the edit-post options.

View attachment 630251
Got it, just found it. Thanks. It's not intuiative to me.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
If I recall correctly, this used to work differently (more like you where thinking) when the forums were vBulletin-based.
Yeah, I guess that's kind of why I was expecting it to be there.

I've adapted to the changes, but didn't realize that this particular edit feature had relocated elsewhere.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah, I guess that's kind of why I was expecting it to be there.

I've adapted to the changes, but didn't realize that this particular edit feature had relocated elsewhere.

Don't worry; you are not the only person to whom this has happened.

Quite literally, for quite some time after the change over to Xenforo, I never even noticed - let alone saw - that 'gear' icon - it had to be pointed out to me on at least two separate occasions…..

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.