Editing the ´Open With´ -list

Discussion in 'macOS' started by virtual.rx, Nov 10, 2006.

1. virtual.rx macrumors newbie

Is there a way to get rid of programs on the list, when you right-click for example a JPEG file and select "Open With"?

The list is ridiculously full of programs i most certainly dont want to use to open a jpg-file.

2. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'm guessing most of them are those stupid mini-apps that come with Photoshop/ImageReady? If you don't use 'em, just go delete 'em. S'what I did. Problem solved. ;)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Or, if you don't want to delete them, then archive them as ZIP files and remove the originals. This way you can still access them later if you like, but they won't appear in the Open With contextual menu. You can archive something in OSX by simply right-clicking on it and selecting Archive from the contextual menu. :)

5. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

That is nice to know, thank you.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Some of them may still be apps you want to use. For example, on JPEG files, I get Firefox, QuickTime Player, RealPlayer, Safari, and Xcode. All are apps I use, but I wouldn't want to use them for JPEG files. Core Image Fun House, on the other hand, I could live without :p

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Of course, if you use an app but still don't want it to show up in the contextual Open With menu, there's a relatively complicated workaround. I'd recommend the archiving method in most cases though. It's much easier. :)