Editing the iTunes Library manually?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nss.aries, Oct 5, 2011.

1. nss.aries, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

macrumors member

Hello everybody :)
    Is there a way to edit the iTunes library manually in OSX? I know the .itl file is encrypted and the xml is just a readable version that the software desn't use, but on google I found a windows software (iT Clinic-something) that seems able to edit the .itl (editing the xml and counting on the iT need to search that if it doesn't find something on the itl).
    I need it for several reasons, but the main one is that I have some songs in 128kbps quality that i'd like to replace with a 320kbps version maintaining playcount and date added info. I've done it manually (replacing the files and making iTunes finds the new ones) but some songs create conflicts and make the player skip to the next one in the middle of the song, in particular with those with slightly different duration, even after manually editing the duration time field - it returns to the previous version when you close itunes, the same thing that happens if you change the xml values (it copy them from the itl when you open iTunes).

I don't understand why I cannot manage my library the way I want :/

Thanks,
    gabriele

2. macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

3. thread starter macrumors member

I don't know your iTunes, but with mine you can't change "playcount" and "date added" fields. And with some files, if you change the "duration" manually, it turns back as it was before the next time you open the sw :/