Editing your post? A first free shot!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by cslewis, Feb 18, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but i've noticed something interesting when editing my posts.

First of all, i'm a chronic post editor. I've always envied the people who don't make any changes. How do you guys do it? I'll write what I feel, then i'll reread it, find an error, and so on. I've edited some on my posts more than 10 times.

Since i'm always editing my posts, i've noticed something perculiar. The first time I go back to edit my post, everything works out great. My change was made, without that annoying 'edited by' bar at the bottom. But when I come back later and do another edit, the bar's there! Is there a delay in the bar showing up, or do you get a first free shot at editing your post without the stupid bar?

[EDIT]: Yes, I really do have no life. :p

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it's time based (five minutes, used to be two but Lacero needed more) rather than hit based. In other words, so long as the final submit is before five minutes after the initial submit, no bar will arise. :cool:

Another chronic editor here too. :)

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

The bar shows up after a time delay. I've edited some of my posts 3 times before the bar showed up.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I like to go in and add sarcastic jokes to my on-topic posts sometimes. Or...ahem... go back and add on-topic comments to my sarcastic posts. Yes, more the latter than the former. :eek:

5. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

You get 5 minutes to edit the post before a bar will show up :)

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Aha! So it's five minutes, eh? I've wondered about this, too, as I'm another who tends to write the post, send it, re-read it (even though I've already proofed it as I was composing) and then inevitably find something that I want to change or correct. Sometimes I've seen the "edited..." bar and other times I have not and I had been a little puzzled by it. Mystery solved! :)

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Actually, this incessant editing is a bad habit, especially when it comes to writing PMs which clearly don't have the edit feature. I'd just like to publicly apologise to all people who may have received badly edited posts from yours truly. :eek:

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I love to edit my post..its lovelyful. I sometimes edit three times in a post...oh well.

Bless

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

IPB has a feature where certain groups of users can opt not to show the bar after editing the post. Double-edged sword there ;)

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So does vB.

11. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Just from observing the time frame while editing a post, I thought the period for completing that and not seeing the notation was five minutes, which is reasonable.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Is there any real reason NOT to show that the post was edited after the first posting?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

13. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

If you edit your posts after people read them then some people early in the thread will have missed it. You can always preview your posts too :)

14. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I am as guilty as anyone for editing my posts.

But 3 or more times? :eek:

Why not just proof read before posting (says the guy with possibly the worst spelling on the forum :p )

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, how I love inline Safari spell-checking. :)

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I figured it would be. I don't think there's much difference in features between IPB and vB.