eDonkey2000

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by AmbitiousLemon, May 30, 2002.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

havent played with edonkey in awhile.

i noticed there was a gui listed on the website as well as the opensource mldonkey projects.

so i thought id give it another shot. the tech involves makes it the best p2p client, is impossible.

so after playing with it for awhile i gave up, and thought id ask for help.

i tried the edonkey CLI for awhile, but couldnt get the servers to work. arn's server list is a broken link. i found some sites that list servers but adding them to the list through the CLI woudl take forever. and the ones i tried wouldnt connect.

next i tried the edonkey gui to see if it would make things easier. i downloaded it. its a .jar file and i have no idea what to do with it.

next i went to mldonkey. downloaded mldonkey, and tried to use its gui. it gave me an error on launch, couldnt find some files. so then i downloaded a mldonkey cocoa gui (cocoadonkey). finally something i could double click on. interface looks good. but it doesnt do anything. im not sure if its supposed to or if its just in way early develpoment its at build .1.7.

had a friend playing with it from the pc side and he spent all his time trying to connect to servers with no go.

anyone have a good walkthrough (arn's old walkthrough worked perfect before).

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Have you tried this walk-through from the edonkey forums?

1. Download the files. You will need both the "mac command line client" and the "GUI client" files.
    http://www.edonkey2000.com/downloads.html
    Grab both those mac files

2. Get the command line working. To do this, take note of where you put the "eDonkey 2000" folder from the mac commandline download. This guide will assume you put it in your Applications folder. So put it there...

3. Open up the "terminal" program. This is the behind the scenes bit. Its located in your Applications folder, in the Utilities folder. Upon opening, it looks like a textbox, no pretty buttons. Welcome to unix

4. Before "running" this program, we need to locate it (find the directory). This is the same as if you opened word, went file->open and found your file. We are doing that... by typing. So, type this:

cd /applications/edonkey 2000

This makes it go to applications, and inside there, open up the edonkey2000 folder. Now, we need to open the edonkey program. But first...

5. Accessing the edonkey terminal program. Some people have problems opening this because of permission issues. Don't worry, type this in first:

chmod a+x donkey

This changes the access privilages on "donkey" so that everyone can access (a) and write (x). You need to do this to run it!

6. Delete the dud file! Unforunatly there is a bug in the mac program that stuffs up the server's document (a list of all your servers). We will need to delete that. Type this:

rm server.met

Remove (rm) "server.met" (thats the file).

7. Now we open edonkey, command line. Type this:

./donkey -

This opens the donkey program in the command line. Cool! Half way sort of...

8. Now to open the GUI client (so you have your buttons and stuff, easier to use!!)

Find that "ed2k_1.jar" that you downloaded, and stick it in the edonkey2000 folder. This should of course be in Applications.

Now open that file. Wait a sec, and the program has launched.

9. Now, we have to get the command line and the GUI talking. This is so when you press "download", the command line gets a download command and gets your file!

Click the "launch core" button (top left). It should come up with a "detected you are running a core", and press yes. if it doesn't, it comes up with a file locator (like a "open file" box). Find your edonkey2000 folder, then "donkey" inside that. Open that...

10. Phew, now they can talk! But thats only half the battle with the GUI, now to get some servers happening. Remember how we deleted the servers file? Well, now its time to get some. Go to this link: it has a list of servers for edonkey:

http://homepage.swissonline.net/ocbMaurice/TDN/serverlist.txt

Now select all and copy that. Go to your terminal window (command line), and just paste it. Now, go back to the GUI, and in the servers tab, hit refresh. You shall now see a lot of servers

11. To connect to a server: in the button bar up the top, hit the middle button - "connect to any server". Now wait a while, and you'll be connected! You'll know, when at the bottom of the screen is says something OTHER than "users: 0 files: 0"

12. When this is done (may take a while... try clicking on a server in the servers tab and hitting connect, try this for a few, may speed the process up), your ready to download!

Click the search tab, and enter your search in. Its all good if there is a "search" button that isn't grey'd out. If it is... there may be a problem (wait, means it can't find a server).

Type in your request, choose the type of file, hit search. When your happy with a file, hit download. Monitor its status in the download tab.

Done!

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: eDonkey2000

Sorry for not updating it...

don't use edonkey2000.

Use mldonkey.

download the client ( http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/mldonkey/ )
    launch it in Terminal (./mldonkey)
    go to your web browser to http://127.0.0.1:4080
    then use the same commands

"s search term" etc...

no server list needed.

arn

4. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

seems just like the command line. still cant get it to connect.

i type c

it says its connecting but after about 30 minutes... never does.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

hmm?

You type 'c' where?

Do you get to the web interface?

arn

6. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

yes i went to the web interface. and in the command field typed "c" and then clicked the "execute" button. then in the frame below it said "connecting" (or something like that) and never changed.

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I don't have to type 'c'... it automatically connects.

Load the web interface... and click on View Connected Servers... if there's nothing there... wait a few mins and try again.

Alternatively, just type

"s searchterm" in the box and click execute...

then click on View Results...

arn

8. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ok. ill try that. i saw that there were zero servers initially so i assumed i needed to do the "c" command first.

9. ericdudeus macrumors newbie

eDonkey server list?

:confused:
    I spent the weekend trying to get eDonkey2000 to work and I'm stuck at adding the server list. Chaosmint.com says that there is a 'specially formatted' list for Macs, but the link is broken. All of my other attemps to add servers have been incorrect and will not work. Does anybody have a list for Mac or is there something i'm missing?

G4/512MB/10.1.4