Edu discount confirmation?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ibookin', Feb 9, 2004.

1. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I ordered a G4 PowerBook to replace my iBook (company paid for :D) online using my education discount, and was able to just click through without confirming my student status. I've heard that they call you to confirm, but have not received and calls from then since I ordered it on Friday. The order status at the online store says the PowerBook has shipped, but the FedEx tracking screen does not show the package as having been picked up by FedEx yet.

Can someone who's used the edu store please tell me how they confirmed student status? I'm worried they won't ship my PowerBook soon because of this.

Thanks in advance.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I had my proof in hand, but they never called me, wrote to me, e-mailed me, or showed up on my doorstep. They shipped my purchase and that was that.

3. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

The edu store runs on the honor system. The student developer "deep discounts" do require verification, however.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

My understanding is that they check with your college to make sure you're enrolled, but I have no proof of that.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

They've never checked me out as far as I know (I've never lied to them either) and I've ordered 1 computer via my EDU discount and 3 or 4 pieces of software (never exceeded the 2 per year limit though). I "go" to a correspondence school a good 5 or 6 states away so I'm sure it all sounds fishy to them but I've never had to show them proof.

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i have orderes 2 ibooks on edu discount, they never even called me once..
    cheers..

and yah..you have a great company man..

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've ordered many things from the edu store, and never been asked for verification. If you read the fine print though, they say they do randomly check up on people, and if they find you're not eligible, you'll owe the discount amount back to them. We're all honest Mac users though....

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

After reading all the replies, I'm a little surprised to say that after I ordered my iMac (indigo) from them, they did call to verify my student status. I had to fax them my student ID.
    -Kev
    P.S. If you remember, a lot of apple's educational staff has been recently laid off so I'm not sure exactly what will happen in the future.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

They just check SkyNet for your information

:D

P.S. Thats a Terminator reference.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Edu discount confirmation?

hah so that means we can videochat again without you having to be at your desk? w000t.

Anyway, you worry too much sweetie...i think you should chill, if apple has any probs they'll call ya. i havent ordered anything from the online store with an edu discount, but it seems like you worry too much.
    btw, happy anniversary :) today is the 10th after all.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've ordered through the edu. discount store, no problems ever. Got myself a TiBook about 15 months ago, and my wife an iBook in December. Never got delayed, or hassled at all about it. I wouldn't worry. As long as they aren't bugging you I would assume all is well. Congrats on the new 'Book.

12. macopia macrumors newbie

I ordered a PowerBook a couple of years ago and they never checked up on me. Hooray for random checking!