edu discount in Apple store for Tiger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yg17, Apr 12, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If I buy Tiger when its released, does anyone know if I can get my edu discount at the Apple Store or is it online only? I've gotten it for hardware, but I heard you can't for software. thanks

2. iGary Guest

iGary

My closest store won't, but some here have stated that they have gotten it on software at their stores.

I just ordered it online so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

yg17, you should only be able to get edu pricing online as when I bought the retail of Panther I tried to get the edu at the local Apple store but couldn't. Most if not all software from the Apple stores can't be bought at edu prices as some in the past had taken advantage of this.
    Hope this helps...

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

U can use an edu discount for tiger, its only $70 :eek: :D ;)

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Besides, if you order it online, you'll receive it before you can buy it in the store anyway. I ordered Panther that way and FedEx delivered it at 8:30am on the morning of release day. :)

6. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

If you qualify for the academic discount, buy online and then take the money you save to the Apple store on a regular day and buy something else, already having Tiger for a lot less.

7. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

Or... well... go buy food, clothes, or other real necessities for making it through college.

Not that I don't support giving Apple its due, but there is a tremendous amount of people out there who simply wouldn't be able to afford Apple products if it were not for the educational discount. :p

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, if it wasnt for the edu discount, the only way I could afford Tiger is to get it through some other means that wouldn't cost me anything ;)

That sucks I can't get the edu discount in the store, i really wanted to go to the Apple Store on release date.

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, there's still nothing to stop you from going to the Apple Store on release day. Living in a small college town 90 miles north of Kansa City, I'm already heading down to KC to see the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at a nice theater, so I'll be there. I couldn't have gotten the edu discount on iLife, but I was still at the KC Apple Store on Jan 22nd. Especially if they are giving away free Apple swag you can bet that I'll be going! Tiger dog tags anyone?

10. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Hmm, free crap, I think I'll be there

BTW, you go to Northwest? I go to UM-Rolla, I know a few people who transferred from there to UMR

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Your local University computer store will also have the educational discount. That is where my wife makes most of her purchases.

You can still go to the Tiger release party on the 29th. They don't require you to buy something to get the gift. Although you might find something else that you want.

12. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, the bookstore here on campus is hit-or-miss with release dates. Took them like a month to get iLife 05, but when iPod minis were first announced, they had them before any of the major retailers did. So we'll see. Hell, maybe some moron working there will put it on the shelf a few days early

13. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I ordered my $69 dollar copy today from the apple store along with a .mac subscription renewal. Hopefully it'll be here on the 29th.

14. chw macrumors newbie

educational discount for family pack?

does anyone know if the ed discount is for a family pack or a individual license. I remember asking the store once that it is a family pack version but I don't remember for sure.

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Not sure since it doesn't come up on the edu site or in the search :confused: You might want to call just to make sure they will or won't be doing it with this one.

16. grubber macrumors newbie

there's a gift if you go to the Apple store for the Tiger release? (I'm an apple newbie... just bought my powerbook a month ago and i LOVE it!)

17. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I am getting Tiger for free from my college. You should first check to see if your school offers it on site license.

18. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Nah, they offer Windows, McAffe (you'll need it for your free copy of Windows), Visual Studio.NET, and other Microsoft junk for free, but no Mac stuff. The most the IT department will do regarding Macs is e-mail you back saying they don't deal with Macs when you're having network problems in the dorms and mention you're using a Mac.