edu discount questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Anarchy99, May 1, 2005.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

hi i am getting a stock dual 2.0 ghz g5 but the problem is is there is no k-12 student discount so i asked one of my friend who's on his first year of university to get one for me
    my questions are:
    1)does apple check these things or could i just lie about it
    2)he lives out of my province not far mind you cause im near the border but could it ship to my address
    3)if he can ship it direct from apple to me would it charge 7% which is alberta tax or 14.5% which is B.C tax

also i heard that if you pay a smaller student fee you can get a bigger discount on hardware from adc can anyone give info on this

2. mersea macrumors regular

Yes, I find it quite annoying that they don't give discounts 'till you're in Uni/CEGEP too. What I've found (logging on from Quebec) is that to access the higher education store (or wtv its called) you need an ID card from a certified school. Now other members here say its not so for them (but that could be the US store).
    As for checking, other people say its basically an honour system (but I now see the ID card, which never used to be there..)

I'm pretty sure they could ship it to you (though not positive). Just look online to see if you can put in a different shipping and billing adress. As for the tax, I'm going to assume the BC tax because that is, afterall, where the person paying for it lives.

3. indigoblu macrumors member

I'm in America, so I'm not sure if it will be different in other countries. But I just purchased a PowerBook using the student discount. I'm in college, but never did they ask for proof of enrollment. It's an honor system, but they don't check.
    The only store that checks enrollment is:
    http://www.academicsuperstore.com
    (which has great software and hardware prices for k-12, college, some teachers and educators). I got the Adobe creative suite for $400.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It has been said that Apple has asked some people for proof that they are entitled to the education discount (faxes of student/faculty ID) after buying from the online store. So I guess they ask a random sample.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

From what I have heard, the basic deal is that you pay $99 to become an ADC student member, and then you get a one-time only* 20% (or so) discount on a computer. Signing up for ADC student membership definitely does require proof of enrollment. You must fax a copy of your student ID and some other official document from the school stating that you are enrolled (your course schedule which is often provided on paper by the university, for example).

*One time only as in once in your whole life, not once a year.

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

That information is correct. I've been selected at random for a verification check on 3 seperate occasions. Shortly after I placed my order, I received an email from Apple saying my student status needed to be verified. They included a fax number where I had to fax a copy of my student ID to. They also provided a phone number for me to call immediately after I sent the fax so they could verify everything immediately.

7. Graeme macrumors newbie

That's pretty much right. It's the student developer discount. From the apple homepage, click on developer at the top right and then go to the bottom and click "Learn More". Then in the right column is the learn more link for student developer. Clicking on the discount part and so on that I'm sure you'll be able to figure out, will eventually take you to the ADC Select Store which is the discounts you'll get. The hardware can be a few hundred dollars cheaper than the normal educational discount, but the software is cheaper with the normal edu discount.

And if my memory serves me well, you're only allowed one computer system and montor per year with the student developer discount. I decided to look it up now, and if you are ordering peripherals (monitor, ipod, cables, etc.) it all must be ordered at the same time.

And it's $99 US. So like $125 CDN, but still better than just Uni discount.

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

The one per year deal is with the normal edu discounts. From the ADC website:

"ADC Student Program members are entitled to *one* purchase of a system to be used for development purposes at a significant discount. A system is equivalent to one (1) CPU with one (1) monitor, one (1) desktop; or one (1) portable. If you are purchasing peripherals (monitor, cable, iPod, etc.) you MUST order all items at the same time as your system purchase."

That is one, as in only one for life.

9. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

The problem with the developer discount is that you, as a student, only get to use it once in your entire life, no matter how many times you pay for a developer account. Also, the discount on the 2.0 is about the same as the standard educational discount once you factor in the extra $100 you have to pay to get the discount.

You don't qualify for the student developer discount anyway (and you can't have someone else do it for you, because you can't ship it elsewhere and you can't call Apple for anything unless you are the owner of both the ADC account and the computer, or your developer status could be revoked for life, along with you having to pay back the price difference to full retail). If you can wait until you actually qualify for the discount (you need only be admitted to a university), it'll make everything easier and avoid any potential problems where you end up paying full retail or losing your discount privileges forever.