Edu discount via parent

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mariahlullaby, Apr 17, 2005.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I've tried searching the forums for an answer, but I can't find one for my particular question. I plan on using an education discount to buy a 12" PB and I wanted to buy it in the actual Apple store. I know you have to bring a student ID (and sometimes a copy of your semester's courses) but I would be using the discount from my mother, who teaches at a local college. However, she is a nurse employed by her hospital to teach at the college...does this count? When I called Apple they it should work as long as she teaches at the college at all, but I wanted to know if anyone had any similar cases. Also, what do we need to bring to the store to show proof for educators?? Thanks!

2. Mercury macrumors regular

You usually need to bring some form of identification showing that they are an instructor of some sort or a pay stub or similar such thing.

3. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Depends on the sales rep. I went in told them my mom is a teacher at the local community college (which is true) and I was thinking of taking an adult education class on Word at a local community college (doubtful but would might to save hundreds of dollars). I told him I could buy right then or go home and order with an Education discount. He chose the former and I walked out with the education discount.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

makes sense, why give the online store money when you can make commission.

5. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

yeah, they're loose, real loose in the stores. But you have to show them something/anything. I can't remember if they scan or photocopy my university ID either. And I've never heard of anybody getting audited after the fact.

6. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Ok, cool. We'll probably bring a pay stub or maybe her school ID tag. I just didn't want to make the trip up to the store (it's almost an hour away) and then find out we can't buy using the discount because of wrong identification. I can't wait!! I'm going to get the 12" PB with Superdrive and there's a slight chance I might get a 20" or 23" Cinema display to bring home too (if I do, I'll also pick up a BT mouse + keyboard). Then, I might have to replace my iPod as it's started having HD problems (good thing they started now though, because I was going to sell it and the buyer would have been mad!!). I had a Genius check it out, told me to try a couple of things, but if they don't work he said they'll replace the unit. So far, it's working fine though (but it's only been about 2 hrs)! Oh, and then I'm going to order a 1 GB stick of RAM to upgrade the unit to 1.5 GB.

Thanks for all your help guys!! This site ROCKS :).

7. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Hopefully not from apple! Too expensive. Just purchased OEM Samsung (2 1gig sticks) from dms. I had heard poz things. I saw a gig for $150 at newegg.com, but had really bad experiences there twice after defective equipment and they charged me 30% restocking fees. dms price was $200 each gig after 2 day UPS shipping.

8. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

I showed nothing but my drivers license for credit card purposes and gave the school's name. It's really up to the individual. I really went up there to make sure it was the 17 I wanted and it was, and getting it right then was a bonus, but not necessary. I was prepared to order online with the education discount.

9. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

For all my edu discounts, my mom had to show her CTA card and some thing with her name and the name of the school on it. That was at the Victoria Gardens, Costa Mesa and Pasadena Stores.

10. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

No, I'm actually planning on going through Data Mem to get it :). Thanks for the suggestion though; glad to know you've had a good experience with them before I buy.

11. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

My dad had to show his school ID at Chestnut Hill Store...

My mom works for the US Gov't, so she can also get the discount.