Edu Discoust With Two Machines

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by matt18012, Oct 31, 2003.

1. matt18012 macrumors member

Apr 24, 2003
    I want to upgrade to Panther via the education discount. The problem: I have two machines and apple does not offer the family pack for edu users. What do I do? Can I install one copy of Panther on two machines with no problems? These two computer are networked, if that makes a difference.

Please note: I have no interest in screwing apple, or downloading Panther illegally. I just want a solution for my situation!

Any replies would be appreciated!
  2. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    The legal solution would be for you to buy TWO copies of panther. But the one copy you have will load on both machines.
  3. slowtreme macrumors 6502

May 27, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Seems to me that 2 copies of Panther via the education discount is still cheaper than the family pack. I wish I understood the problem.
  4. mrjamin macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    same price, isn't it?
  5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I believe that if one is a laptop and one is a desktop you are legally allowed to install panther on both from one copy. At least this is the case with most software. And if not... well, honestly, I just don't see any wrong in using one copy on both anyway. But that's just me.
  6. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Interesting point, can you back this up with some reference?
  7. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    two panthers, with edu. discount will be $138. ($69 x 2) that's still cheaper than $199 family pack...

yes, you will be able to install one copy on both machines.

no, it's not legal.

panther license says, one purchased copy, one computer. it permits additional install if you remove it completely from the currently installed machine. since it's a license you agree to, it's not legally up to us to decide what's fair and what's not, etc., etc.

i recently bought an emac. it came with panther. but i bought another copy of panther for my pb 12". you can call me tight-arse or whatever, but i believe in doing the "obvious "and supporting apple's development effort, esp. because i get panther at edu. discount.
  8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I know it's the case with MS office... no, I don't have the user agreement in front of me to quote word for word... and as I said, I'm only speculating that it *might* be the case with panther.

well, that's true, we can't decide what's legal, but we can decide what we morally consider to be "fair use." The individual retail of panther is marketed as "single user," right? Well, it seems to me that if you have two computers, both yours and both for your personal use, installing one copy of panther on both may violate the letter of the agreement, but certainly not the spirit. One user, personal use, only running on one mac at a time. I just can't see the harm.

Technically, you could remove Panther from one machine, put it on the other, remove it, put it back on the first, and that would be legal (it would also take several hours per day). I don't see how it's any different, morally, to leave it installed on both macs given that you're only using one of them at a time anyway.
  9. iEric macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2003
    Thats correct. And I can back it up because I was at an Apple/Adobe workshop and they even told everyone that it is legal to install one for your desktop and one for your work or laptop.
  10. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Adobe's license allows for that. [If both machines are primarily used by the same person.] Apple's Mac OS license is per machine on the standard version. The family pack is 5 machines residing in the same household.
  11. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2003
    if you are going to violate the license on one machine and not the other why not just down load it and install the free copy on both machines. This way you will be screwing apple out of $140 not just $70. And no it is not legal to have it on 2 machines with only one license. That is why it is called one license. They sell the family pack generous price but maybe they should allow that once you own the actual product you can buy single license upgrades for around $20 a piece!!!

I was just kidding about the piracy stuff, i mean who around hear would not support apple and have illegal apple software. I know i wouldn't.
  12. RobVanDam macrumors member

Jun 30, 2003
    Is it legal? Absolutely not. Will Apple come after you? I doubt it with every fiber of my being.
  13. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2003
    Just to be clear I was just being sarcastic with this post. Dont want to have people upset with me now.