Edu prices: Apple store v.s. University Bookstore

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by yg17, Sep 6, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Are university bookstores always cheaper than the Apple Education Store online? Today, i went in to look at 15" PBs as I am most likley buying one. The 1.67GHz Superdrive is 2099 I think on Apple's website. It's 1869 at the school bookstore. Not that I'm complaining ;) but I always thought the prices were the same.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have found the prices lower at our local University Computer Store also. That is why it is always good to compare prices. Good luck with your new purchase and enjoy. You should purchase extra RAM 1 GB is affordable and definitely AppleCare.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I'll eventually get RAM and applecare.

Haven't bought it yet because my bookstore sucks. They have a student financing plan (4 payments, 1 each semester) and I filled out the paperwork today but it takes 24 hours for processing :rolleyes: I can apply for a credit card and get approved in 30 seconds but 24 hours for this :(

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Eh, at the universities I've checked out the prices were exactly the same (and more expensive by $5 on some items!) as the Apple prices... but that probably has more to do w/ the UCs and Cal States not having enough funding or something. Stupid bankrupt Californian edumacation...

5. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

NOT cheaper in Canada

At my Uni (U of Calgary) prices are usually about 50-60$ MORE :eek: than apple store, (on computers anyway), unless they have some old stock laying around (then it is worth it, that's how my bro saved on his pb :p ), That's why I'm ordering from apple directly, use the difference on hd upgrade.

6. Fourbin macrumors regular

At the University of Pennsylvania bookstore most Apple computers are the same price as the online store but came with AppleCare for that price. A pretty good deal.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hmm - my wife is staff in UC Berkeley so I can see the "Scholar Workstation" prices. They have back to school specials, e.g. iBook 12" with 3 yr AppleCare, currently $985 ($1132 online), PowerBook 15-inch 1.67GHz $2199 with AppleCare ($2,338 online - that would cost $2598 normal, non-education prices)

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I went to Cal for my freshman year of college... I didn't get such awesome prices-- maybe it's specially priced for staff? :(

9. lfielder06 Guest

My brother goes to Abilene Christian Univ. in Texas, and they usually have cheaper deals than on apple's website just because they don't charge tax. I think the also give you a good discount on applecare. They also drop the prices like a couple weeks before an update to a product line.