education dicounts??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by synthetickittie, Feb 3, 2003.

1. synthetickittie macrumors regular

Im a high school student, I was woundering if there was a way I could buy some stuff at a mac store with the education discounts that I see listed on apples site? If I can how can I prove I got to the school I do in the first place and I woundering about that online, what would stop someone that doesnt work in a school or is a student themself from getting the discounts...

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm pretty sure they check randomly for student ID or some sort of proof.

They didn't ask me anything when I got a PowerBook through the Apple Store a couple years ago.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

you're a high school student? outta luck unfortunately...Apple has an education store but only gives discounts to K-12 schools and faculty and higher education students and teachers.

4. synthetickittie thread starter macrumors regular

ah dam but hell I guees having to have my mother as a teach in the same school as me might finally pay off a little (never accually had her as my teach tho). So if I went with her she could buy the everything at those discount in an apple store? One of the things that has a big amount off is macromedia mx studio, I normally let say um find other ways of getting the programs I want but I absolutly love flash and dreamweaver and have the money to get this stuff so I thought Id give back for programs very well devolped IMO.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

lucky lucky. the only way i can get discounts right now from the Apple Store is if i use my dumb ADC hardware (only) discount.

6. tcolling macrumors member

Be inventive

Find a class at a local tech school (make sure its accredited, it will already be on the Apple site), take that, get your school ID, and order away!

I took an intro to Macintosh class which met 1x a week for four weeks, slept through it, and got an education discount.

Cost me all of about twenty five bucks.

7. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

you can also get a discount for being the parent of a K-12 student...

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

i don't think you can if you're a parent of a k-12 student...i think it's only if a teacher buys it or the school buys it for academic use.

9. austincpy macrumors member

my mom works as part as the PTA, and we get discounts. When i ordered my iPod, all they asked me (on the phone) was what she did.

10. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Really, could you tell me anymore? My mom is on the PTA too, and I never thought that qualified...

11. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

rememeber though, it is one desktop and one notebook and one ipod within 12 months. thats for indiviuals anyway. if you use the institution discount ....

oh well, good luck

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I'm from Canada, and there are no Apple stores in Canada (that I know of), but I think there is one opening up at the Eaton Centre in Toronto.

Anyway, I would like to take advantage of an educational discount, and although it mentions a discount on the Apple Canada site (www.apple.ca) website, it doesn't give any details like the US website gives. The site links me to Apple's US education discount website for more details, but it doesn't give me any details as to how to take advantage of the discount in Canada other than to go to a university and purchase a Mac there.

The discount at Canadian Universities? Approximately $100 (or $65 USD) off an iBook that costs $2100. That's nothing. The American discount seems much better. :(

Is there an American Mac reseller that can allow me an educational discount AND ship the unit to Canada? I believe that it would mean a very nice discount, even if I have to pay more for shipping. Macwarehouse.com has a great price on iBooks, but they have a Canadian website that offers lousy pricing and none of the free stuff that comes from the US ibook.

13. digitalgiant macrumors regular

A few months ago,, me and the wife went to the apple store to get me a powerbook. we told them she was a teacher ( which she is) and they gave us the discount. did not even ask for any id.

14. TheMightyG macrumors regular

I very much doubt it. The Apple Stores here have educational discounts but they're limited to US addresses. Best bet is get a friend who is a student at a US college/university to buy it for you and pick it up in the US...American campus stores often have better pricing/bundles than even the online Apple Store for Education.

Your call if you want to declare it at customs to save the GST/PST...

15. austincpy macrumors member

Really, could you tell me anymore? My mom is on the PTA too, and I never thought that qualified...

Sure. My mom works for the PTA (she doesn't have like a President position, but I know that she works on funding and programs), but on the Apple Store website for Education (go to the Apple Store, then select the Education tab) it tells you that if you work in the PTA, you qualify. Hope that helps!

16. Raiden macrumors regular

I am a high school student and I have used the EDU discount. Got jaguar for 70 bucks. Just goto the edu store page and do the "shop for yourself" under the k-12 table.

17. garzy macrumors regular

hey ubergeek

why is the ADC program dumb?
    you get huge discounts off hardware
    although i find it amazing that you can belong to the program when your only 14, theres an age requirement, and it costs $3500/year to join the premier ADC members program to be able to get those discounts

18. Wano macrumors 6502

The ADC hardware discount is only worth it if you are buying expensive stuff such as a powermac with 20"+ display or powerbook, cause if you buy an iMac or iBook the taxes and $99 membership fee will pretty much put you at what it would cost at a internet reseller where you dont pay tax, plus some places offer free ram.

19. Darby macrumors newbie

Discount amount?

Hi,

I was wondering what the actual amount of discount is available for a student? Also, does it matter if you are full-time or part-time or how many units you are taking?

Thank-you,
    Darby :)

20. tcolling macrumors member

student status doesn't matter

I doubt they really care if you are a student or not.

It doesn't appear to matter what your student status is (full-time or part-time). As I said earlier, I got the discount (and student ID) because I took a four week intro to Mac course that cost less than $25.

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

gawd this has to happen every single time...for the LAST TIME MY NAME IS ÜBERGEEK!!!
    Okay...it's dumb because you only get 10 a year (premier or select renewal). They don't care bout age. I didn't pay for the ADC membership. You can get a hardware discount with a student membership for $99 which is worth it if you're buying a top of the line power mac and a 23" cinema display. And it sucks because it's ONLY hardware but on the other hand you get pretty sweet discounts on software so it's kinda okay.

22. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Uh, you really need to lighten up...not everyone knows how to make an umlaut.

23. garzy macrumors regular

übergeek

well if you didnt pay $3500, how can you can complain about the discounts on computers you dont even buy? and then brag about the gear you supposedly have! even if you were even old enough to get the student developer discount, its only good for one purchase per lifetime
    i dont ever believe a word you say due to the fact that you admitted youre a prepubescent 14 yr old and you display an extremely annoying, arrogant attitude towards others when you post
    your signature is ridicuolus

grow up twerp

24. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Way to show maturity buddy. Smooth.

I'd take his signature over your l33t handle anyday. Only prepubescent 14 year olds actually talk that way, and even then usually just during counterstike.

Lay off the übermeister.

And for the record, I got my dual 867 with an educational discount (not the developer one) and it required no proof whatsoever.