Education Discount (10% off)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by diehldun, Dec 3, 2003.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2003
    hello there again!
    i wanted to purchase the PowerBook 17" today at my local bookstore at UCSD (less than a mile away). i was ready to purchase a new one when I was told that all 4 of them had Jaguar installed, not Panther. They told me that i would need to pay $69.00 for an upgrade CD, or else they would give me $20 credit/off.

so, after hearing several unpleasant reviews regarding loading Panther onto an ex-Jaguar machine, i decided to just head back to my local Apple Store (UTC). you see, at UCSD, the price was $2,650, which would be $50 less than a normal education discount @ Apple Store.

I really don't care, so I am going tomorow. But, i have one question- will you still be eligible for education discount if you bring along a really close, and family-friend teacher (actually professor, who teaches at UCSD)?? i would then be buying the PowerBook myself, but simply using his ID for the discount. Will Apple Store allow that, or must i actually be a student/teacher to qualify?

PS: All PowerBook's @ Apple Store are already w/ Panther!
  2. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2003
    come on...

more than 20 people have already read this... ANYONE????
  3. yoman macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2003
    In the Bowels of the Cosmos
    it depends

i think it depends on how picky your local apple store employees are. My mom just bought a 15" PB and got the edu discount just by having my brother flash his college student ID card. So its possible but I don't know if its guaranteed.

edit: for what its worth you could always just do a clean install of panther on the 17" PB at the university. all you would have to do is clean the hard drive with disk utility then boot up from the panther CD and install panther on a clean hard drive.
  4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    If you bought from the University, you would qualify for the Panther Up-to-Date program from Apple. You could get the Panther upgrade for $20. Try the Apple Store first though, as it would be nicer to get it all taken care of right out of the box.
  5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    The Computer store here at UCSF is running a promo (while supplies last) on Dual G4 1.4 and all the 'Books. The 17" PB is $2500. Not that I would buy one 'casue it's so damn big and expensive, but it's the cheapest around.

Oh btw, some people will have trouble just plugging in a new mouse, even on a Mac, so don't believe in everything you read. I upgraded from Jag to Panther on my dual G4 w/o a prob. Smooth running here w/ all the programs.

.... wait, you're not a studen/teacher? Well, are you an employee of UCSD? 'Cause that'll work too. But I don't think they'd mind as long as you bring a sheep w/ UCSD ID along.
  6. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2003
    umm no...

i'm not a student @ UCSD, by we have a really-close family friend who is a professor there, and he never uses Apple, so there.
  7. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    technically, no. no matter how close you are to the person, the educational discount is intended for the machines to be used by someone who is part of an educational institution. if you read the agreement carefully, you will see that if you buy a Mac using an edu. discount, you cannot sell it or give it to someone else.

that said, you will probably get away with it. but you may need to ask your close friend prof. to front the money for you and you can pay him back. (however, if your friend is a "reputable" prof., i'd be a bit hesitant as you are making him break an agreement with apple in an official capacity as a university professor - not a very good idea, in my opinion...)