Education discount in UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VMAn, Sep 4, 2006.

1. VMAn macrumors newbie

Hi,

Going to be making the move over to Apple (laptop) as soon as I've got some cash together!

Was going to get a Macbook, but once I've upgraded the RAM to 1gb, it's only £150 more to get a refurb MBP (2.16ghz, 1gb, 256mb gfx, 100mb HDD) so it makes sense to go for that I thought.

I've searched the forums with regards to what people think about the Applecare - I would like to have it on the laptop as they do seem more vulnerable and also it's an Apple which Im not familiar with.

Anyway - I digress. The Applecare is £279 on MBP (v.expensive) but can you (or has anyone on here) obtained educational discount on the Applecare? I work in a school (non-teaching) but can get someone to order it for me - how do they check the discount is legitimate???

I don't think you can, but can someone confirm whether or not you can get educational discount on refurb stuff (would be lovely!)

Cheers in advance.

2. johnathan.macle macrumors member

johnathan.macle

Hi, may I be the first to welcome you to the mac platform :)

I have bought alot from the apple store, with the student discount. I called up, ordered £3000 worth of stuff and all they asked me for was the name of my college and the course I was doing.

If you call up you can say you are a mature student or something and get the discount that way, however when I was ordering my ipod, I was never asked about my educational status.

I would say your best bet is to order it as a student and hope they dont randomly select you to check your student status.

But I cannot promise anything.

Hope this helps, if you would like more info just give me a message.

:) ;)

3. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I don't know if the laws are different in the UK, but in the United States, you are eligible for the education discounts if you work in a school. That is not limited to just teachers.

So since you are faculty of the school you are thereby eligible :cool:

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

If you're in University (not sure about non-teaching staff) in the UK, you can benefit from a free 3 year warranty with an upgrade to 'full' Applecare for approx £58. Might make a brand new machine a little more attractive...

Give Apple a call on 0800 039 1010 to find out if you're eligible for the UK Higher Education Store

5. Maximus434 macrumors regular

I dont think you can get an education discount on already discounted hardware.

However if you do go new, call apple instead of ordering online. They will give you an even cheaper price. I think they work on commission.

I was offered €30 less by a sales rep on a MBP with education discount - not much but it helps.

6. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Can you point me in the direction of this information, i have bought 4 mac through educational store and each has run out of applecare after one year?

7. VMAn thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the replies everyone.

The MBP I've seen online refurb is a saving of 41% (£1669 brandnew - so still cheaper to have refurb + Applecare rather than the £58 warranty offer).

I may well give them a call to see what they can offer over the telephone - maybe even more off the refurb MBP (fingers crossed!)

I've just got onto the education-discounted shop area and the Applecare for MBP (with edu-discount) is £231.48 so there's some saving there already. So I could get the MBP with Applecare for total of £1465.23 - not too bad if I get an introductory credit card offer and spread the cost.

8. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

This is a fairly recent thing so it's possible you bought your Macs before the new warranty offer was introduced. You need to access the Apple Store for Higher Education from within your University (won't let you in from an outside computer), or through the NUS Website (www.nusonline.co.uk), however the NUS site now requires you to register your 2006/2007 NUS Card, which I don't have until the end of the month when I register for the next academic year...

Check this out

9. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Cheers its very likely that i did purchase these before the new warranty came into effect if its a recent thing.... good thing too, i was tempted to buy applecare with the new MBP i plan on buying!

10. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Phew, glad you found out about this then ;) One thing though, decide *before* you order whether you want to upgrade to 'full' Applecare as it can only be done when placing the order. If you decide later on, you'll have to pay the full £200+ for it. Only real difference is that you get telephone technical support for years 2+3, the hardware is covered regardless for the 3 years. I chose to get it for peace of mind because I'm sure Apple aren't quite as easy about sorting out repairs unless you have Applecare, and besides you can transfer Applecare if you sell the machine, the 3-Year Higher Education Warranty is non-transferrable.

11. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

It doesn't say that anywhere in the T&Cs.

However, you don't get any written confirmation of the HE warranty anyway, and Apple don't have a record of it if you call them up. So how the heck are you supposed to get warranty service after the first year is up?

12. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

You're right about the T&Cs, also you're right also regarding getting warranty service. Most techs I've spoken to at Applecare are unaware of the 3 year UK H.E. Warranty, but usually when they go and check it out they come back and confirm it exists. However, If I have any difficulties obtaining service, I've kept a copy of the terms and conditions along with the original invoice to prove the purchase to show to Customer Relations. I don't think it'd ever come to that though (hopefully)

13. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

That's exactly what I've done too! I'm paranoid! :p Although I don't think you can blame me, for every time I've spoken with Apple recently they've tried to flog me AppleCare :rolleyes:

14. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Update on the 'Apple not having a clue about the 3 Year UK H.E. Warranty' thing:

I called Apple and queried the warranty on my machine, the rep kept telling me it was covered for 90 days technical support / 1 year warranty despite me repeatedly telling her the UK Higher Ed store advertises a 3 year warranty. She eventually went off and spoke to Aftersales who came back to me and said that due to issues with their systems it wasn't showing a 3 year warranty, but he created a case number which he advised me to hang on to should I need warranty service, basically means the tech will be able to view it and see that Customer Relations have over-ridden what their systems say.

On an interesting side note, I bought a Mac Pro which was purchased from the UK Higher Ed store and uplifted to 'full' Applecare. On the online support page, it shows "Our records indicate that your product is covered under a custom support contract and your estimated date of purchase was 8-Sep-06. Based on this data, your product will be covered by Apple service warranty for 1087 more days." - No record of the Applecare I purchased!

So one MacBook Pro that doesn't show the special UK Higher Ed 3 year warranty online, and a Mac Pro which DOES show it, but really should show Applecare. :confused:

Come on Apple, get it right! :rolleyes: