Education Discount is the best?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SSpiro, Mar 30, 2007.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

This site is great..

I'm about to pull the trigger. Is the education discount the best available discount that i'll be able to find on a MBP?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a MBP 2.16GHz this weekend.. $1799 with ed discount on the apple store site..

Last question - Can I get this same discount in the store?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

3. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

And I can use that discount in the store, right? I'm assuming they'll ask for my student ID?

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

well actually, the student developer one time discount is the best. that's what I did to get my MBP. It's a $99 membership fee, but I sold the copy of Tiger and the t-shirt to offset most of that cost (I think I got about $60 back). On top of that, I'll also be getting a free copy of Leopard when it's released.. which saves me quite a bit of money too (~$70).

But the best part: my MBP was only $1599.

Any student can join, btw.. you don't actually have to be a developer.

5. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

REeeeeeeeeeeeallly. Never heard of this. I must investigate.

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yepp.. it's a great little program. Here's a link to get your investigation started.

7. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Thank you.. I'm all over this.

So since Leopard comes out during the 1yr membership period, its free for the ADC members?

How much is the "significant" discount, if you were to assign it a percentage or dollar amount? I know you said you got a MBP for $1599, just curious what model or original list price was..

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The free copy of leopard isn't a "listed" perk, but everyone who were members when Tiger was released got a free copy of that, so it's going off history.

As for the discounts, if you go to the developer store, you can find out all the prices. The $1599 was for the 2.16 C2D MBP in my sig.

9. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I was planning on the C2D 2.16.. but I see that the 2.33 C2D with 2GB of ram and upgraded vid card is only $1999, I don't think I could NOT get that one.. :drool:

10. BigPrince macrumors 68020

ok. So in MY case I am actually attending school for computer science and computer security and was able to join the ADC. I believe any college student can from what I have read from others on here.

You pay $99 for the package. You get a free t-shirt and a copy of the OS and a monthly mailing. Eventually, if things don't change leopard will come our way. Then you get a "once in a lifetime" discount. This discount is pretty significant. In the US it is about $101 difference from EDU prices once you factor in the intial $99 you pay to join. Also if you choose upgrades its also cheaper saving you more.

This is in reference to the MBP pricing.

word of advice since you are in college. DO NOT BUY THE WARRENTY FROM the ADC store.

You can buy items from any store you qualify for. So buy the MBP in the ADC store along with upgrades saving you at the very least $101, but more if you upgrade then you save another $100 for the warrenty at the EDU store....I know I am a loser and figured this all out.

Quoting myself from http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=276471&highlight=student+developer

11. goldendelish macrumors newbie

maybe math foo is weak, but when you take tax into account, the discount seems to be on par with ordering from somewhere like amazon, which has no tax, plus offers a rebate on the computer. even applecare is cheaper at amazon.

12. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Its not because you get discounts on upgrades as well. So if you add more your saving more. And you get Leopard for free saving one some nice amount of change. (based on past experience)

If you like to do a comparison, provide me with an Amazon.com Macbook Pro with w/e upgrades you want and Apple Care and I will then match the same computer so we can see the price difference.

13. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Depending on what model you get.

I.e. the discount on the MBP C2D 2.16 is ~$100 after the $99 ADC cost...List is 1999. Edu discount is 1799. ADC discount is 1599.

However the discount on the MBP C2D 2.33 is $~200 after the $99 ADC cost..
    List is 2499. Edu discount is 2299. ADC discount is 1999.

Seems the more the product list is, the more the discount.

Amazon for the C2D 2.16 is 1999. To me, seems more sense to do the 2.33.

14. goldendelish macrumors newbie

actually amazon has that model for 1999 - 150 rebate = 1849. tax on the edu price of 1799 is probably about $150, so that looks the same total to me.

15. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'm glad I saw this--I'm actually in a graduate IT program, so I can use it for real. Only bad part about joining now is that the deadline to apply to go to WWDC has already passed--so it might be worth waiting until after WWDC to join so you can apply for next year......

That said, I think the student developer discount is quite a bit better than the educational--on the C2D 2.16 MBP it is 400 vs 200--in effect, you pay the refurb price but get to customize and receive a brand new one.....

Bob

16. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

And to answer the one question - yes you can get the Edu Discount in the store.

Even the Homeschool Discount!

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Technically, you are supposed to declare untaxed purchases on your income tax and pay the sales tax then. ;) So, it's only cheaper if you are a criminal, and if you commit tax evasion the terrorist win! Or something...

18. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

here's a breakdown :

let's assume 6% sales tax :
    student developer total price
    = $99 + ($1599 * 1.06) ​
    = $99 + ($1694)​
    = $1794​

Amazon
    = $1999 - $150 rebate (mail in i believe)​
    = $1850​

so about $50 savings being a student developer. But when you get a copy of osx, you can sell it on ebay and increase that savings.

For the applecare,
    EDU discount :
    = $239 * 1.06​
    = $253​

Amazon
    = $299​

another $50 savings.

19. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

OK, I am now quite interested in this...
    It would be great to be able to buy a MBP for less, and get a free copy of Leopard...

Basically, it seems that you join this thing, and you get the newest version of OSX for I think what the cost of OSX is Student Discount anyway.

The Student ADC discounts seem to be identical to the Edu discounts, am I missing something?

And then you get a one time super discount? I can't find anywhere what this discount actually is, so can anyone give a little help?

BTW, if it's important, I live in Australia...

Oh, and I am assuming the 1 CPU rule in the Terms & Conditions eliminates the Mac Pro, out of interest?

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I was wrong!!!

I got confused when I saw the numbers ~$3500, which is about what the 15" 2.33 MBP is Edu.
    What I failed to notice was this is for the 17"...

ADC discount on 15" 2.33 MBP is 320 bucks! (minus 149 for Student ADC, plus $129 for Leopard!)

So I'll save myself 300 bucks, to get myself a brand spanking new Santa Rosa MBP come June, and have an extra copy of Leopard to either load on my Cube, or give to my Dad for his PB G4!

So it really is worth ignoring the iPod+Mac deal on here ATM, cos it's only $199...

Thx xfiftyfour!

20. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Sorry about the double post, but it seems the Edit Post thing is screwing up.
    Never mind.

Well, it seems it is available on Mac Pros, despite the fact the Terms and Conditions quite clearly state one CPU. And the savings rapidly get huge...

Hmmm, no discount on iMacs or Macbooks (Couldn't be bothered to look at Mac Minis, although if I had to guess...)

Anyway, back to reality,

How about the bits about not being able to return stock? I assume if you get this discount, and the machine ends up having an Apple recognised fault, Apple will still replace it?

Is there anything that could happen that would end up with me getting screwed that wouldn't happen if I buy Edu discount? It says in terms and conditions that stuff comes without warranty. I think this is just for the random stuff they aparrently send you, but just to be sure...

Oh, and how come Applecare costs over 100 more? Is there any way to get round that?

Can't wait for WWDC2007!

21. BigPrince macrumors 68020

not to be rude, but Read the prior posts...especially mine, they answer some of your questions.

HOWEVER, Australia may have something to do with it. This is based for US Prices. Just to make it crystal clear since your post confused me and I went back and checked everything just to make sure, even though you had already.

There is a $200 difference between ADC and EDU pricing on the BASE Macbook Pro, $101 after you factor in the cost of membership. Then you upgrade the savings INCREASE because upgrades are cheaper for ADC. Its over $200 for the other Macbook Pro Models.

For the warranty, as I already explained, if you qualify for the EDU buy then Apple Care there. You can purchase from whatever you store you qualify for.

ADC IS SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER THEN EDU FOR PRO MODELS for US customers. (so people don't get confused by your mumbo jumbo)

Its also cheaper for consumer models if you tack on some upgrades or its about on par if you don't. Not sure what you were looking at.

Ya its harder to return since your buying it online. But if theres a problem they will obviously fix it.

22. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Sorry, yeah, I got a little excited about the concept of saving myself 300 bucks (Australian currency).

And I hate deleting stuff I've already written.

And I did read the posts, I just got confused with the pricings of the 17" and 15" MBP's. My fault. I'm sorry. I also seem to have missed the bit where you said not to buy Applecare from ADC store. Silly me.

Oh, and about the bit about not getting a discount on Macbooks and iMacs. What I actually meant was no EXTRA discount. The discount is the same as for Education pricings. I was looking at just the stock models, I didn't bother looking at options.

So in conclusion, if you buy a MBP or MP, go with the ADC, and save yourself a couple of hundred. If not, don't bother.

23. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Well base models, but the upgrades are cheaper and you have a chance to get Leopard for free and you get an Apple T-Shirt.

Make sure you didn't miss the bit about how you can by the computer from ADC store and the Apple Care at EDU store.

24. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Yep, just checked that you can buy Applecare independently from the computer from edu store, and it is cheap.

And when you say chance, I believe it says you will receive a free copy of OSX. I would assume that if I join the Student ADC after Leopard is released, that copy of OSX will be Leopard...

I mean, I'm not buying my MBP now, so there's no point in me joining ADC until after Leopard is released, and I can get my Santa Rosa MBP...

And I so want that t-shirt... I shall wear it to Uni every single day....
    (joke)

I just wanted to know whether there are any extra risks involved buying the computer like this as opposed to buying online education store. The answer seems to be no.

25. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Terms are subject to change.

I don't remember how its worded, I just don't want to promise people if they join the ADC Student they get leopard.

Its the same as buying it through the EDU store except its he has ADC at the top instead of EDU and different prices. Risk is equal, but theres no "risk" lol, its a regular online store. They aren't *******s or anything.

The T-shirt is pretty nice. It was my first Apple Apparel which is very hard to get a hold of other then ebay.