Education Discount & Online Tax Break

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vilmo, Oct 21, 2003.

1. vilmo macrumors newbie

greetings,

Does anyone know an apple reseller that extends the Apple education discount who is also an ecommerce dealer?

I am trying to avoid paying the tax on my big purchase and still get the Education Discount. I just called the Apple store and they say they charge taxes on all items.

I need to order my new computer on the internet to avoid taxes since I live in Texas, and buy from an Apple reseller who offers the Apple education discount.

Who is an Apple reseller that fits my needs description?

Sorry for the particular request, but I REALLy want to shop smart!

Vilmo

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

not possible do a search, about once a week someone asks this and they always get the same answer to summarize

if you want the edu diso**** you have to pay tax. (notice the period)

3. vilmo thread starter macrumors newbie

tax-exempt orders

rich people sometimes get richer because they legally know how to avoid paying taxes.

Can anyone come up with a legal method for acheiving both desired savings: education discount and paying no tax?

Here is where I started my searching:
    http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html
    Read:Tax-Exempt Orders

vilmo

4. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Re: tax-exempt orders

When people talk about rich people avoiding taxes, it's because they are talking about people setting up corporations and having the corporations own their assets and getting taxed only on the money they actually take out of the corporation.

I very much doubt that there is any legal way that you can avoid paying taxes on your mac, except to buy it used!

Alia

5. jermsmingy macrumors regular

I got an educational discount and didn't pay taxes

I order an ibook about 2 years ago from Macmall and I got an educational discount and did not have to pay taxes. You couldn't do this online. You had to call and ask for it. Also, I have heard that CDW offers educational discounts but that you also have to call. I am looking at buying a new powerbook and I am in the same boat. I don't want to pay taxes either and I am a student so I want a discount. Try Mac Warehouse. They might have something also. Hope that this helps.

6. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

I think the rub is that online resellers aren't required to charge tax, unless they have a location in that state. (i.e. Amazon.com HQ is in Seattle, so I have to pay them tax. You probably do not.) Thus many, many potential customers are dismayed to find that Apple ignores this law and charges everyone tax.

The end result is that Education customers in states without Apple Retail stores have the luxury of getting a discount-that makes up for the "tax"-that Apple is pocketing anyway. It's no suprise that these people try to avoid it.

The above poster's advice about calling CDW and MacMall are great. Your other option is to travel to an Apple retail location in a state that does not have sales tax.

7. stetsows macrumors newbie

Sales Taxes and Online purchases

Legally there is no way to avoid the sales tax, unless you live in a state like Deleware that has none. Even on purchases made online from e-tailers such as Amazon, most states expect you to claim such purchases at tax time and pay the sales tax for your area.

8. Zeke macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't allow resellers to give education discount. But the last I checked was a year ago. So, if you're successful will you post so everyone will know about it. Thanks and good luck.

9. bcstanding macrumors newbie

MacZone did this for me when I bought my first Mac 2 1/2 years ago (a PB G4 400). I had to call them, though. I've found that if you aren't looking for a brand new model Mac, you can get a great price when you buy a Mac from any online retailer during the week after new Mac models are announced.

10. aphexist macrumors member

Re: tax-exempt orders

Maybe if you call Apple you can get the El Cheapo discount.