Education Discount Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mr. magoo, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr. magoo macrumors newbie

Ok, so I went on the Apple Store because I am going to buy a MacBook Pro soon. Just for the heck of it, I clicked and did the whole education discount thing. When it asked for my school, there was an option for "-". Just a dash. I wanted to see if it would work, and it let me add to my cart. So pretty much I got $200 off on a Macbook Pro. Would this be considered bad though? Like could I get like in trouble or something?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They periodically do spot checks of people buying under the educational pricing. And I'd imagine someone buying with no institution chosen would throw up a huge red flag in their system.

The simple rule is: If you don't qualify for educational pricing, don't try to use it.

3. mr. magoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Umm... is it still worth trying t buy it though? I know it's not 'the rigth thing to do" but is there still a chance of it working? Cause I would really like to save 200 bucks.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's not about the "right thing"...when you purchase through the EDU store, you agree to the terms of purchase. If you misrepresent yourself as being eligible when you are not, you are in violation of the purchase agreement and open yourself up to breach of contract issues.

5. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

They do infact go after the people that are not legitimately qualified for it. I am sure it will work for you but they will be after you in some time if you pop up when they check. It is written in basically a contract you agree to when you press "i accept" and then becomes a ;egal document. The fact you are posting it on a public board doesnt help you much either.

Kevin

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Please don't cheat the system even if you think you are saving $. You are not. This is in place for the poor college students like me

7. mr. magoo thread starter macrumors newbie

but what I'm saying is that i am a student of "-" as it I don't go to one of the institutions or w/e on their list. So afaik, I'm not violating any contract or anything. I don't go to one, and there is obviously the option there. I just don't see how that is a violation of the contract amd stuff like that.

8. PrOeliuM macrumors member

Why not look at the refurb section of the Apple store to get a nice deal on a first generation macbook pro? You can save a similar amount and not open yourself up this issue.

Would this be considered bad though? If you have to ask, reverse the situation and see how you would feel if you offered someone something of yours for a reduced price because their finances were tight (like if they were poor or a student or both) and then found out they lied about it just to cheat you. If you don't appreciate it, I doubt Apple would (which means you could be subject to them going after you).

I vote refurb or find someone who is actually a student who will buy it for you.

9. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

An easy phone call to apple will solve any questions you have on your school.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here are Apple's terms under which you purchase from the EDU store.

11. mr. magoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Refurb pretty much means that someone screwed it up and there is something up with it, so the manufacrturer puts in some crappy replacement part and calls it fixed. I have a refurb desktop computer, and there is all kinds of stuff wrong with it. And the only person I can think of who would really be able to buy me the computer with their discount has already bought a MacBook this year. But what WildCowboy said about ten minutes ago about PTA people.... I wonder if my mom is on the PTA. I think she said something about having to pay for a membership or somehting like that.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

FWIW, Apple's refurbs are often of better quality than their new machines, as they've been gone over with a fine-toothed comb in addition to the general quality control check they got leaving the factory new.

13. frogger2020 macrumors regular

Very odd. I went to the Apple Store and asked if I could buy a Macbook through my niece. The salesman said that I would have to have her student id and driver's license OR I would just need to go online to get the education discount. He told me that I don't need any proof and then he went over to one of the systems and went into the educational discount link for me.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, you can get the educational discount by misrepresenting yourself when you order. Yes, you might get away with it, or Apple's auditors might catch you - just like cheating on taxes. Yes, you can pirate software, music, and movies.

No, you shouldn't do any of those things. And yes, you should know better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.