Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
I'm planning to get a Macbook Pro very soon and I have a very close family friend that goes to college. Could I just order online using the discount and if they ask for ID, use my friend's? Because either way, I would just have my friend buy it and pay her back but it's more of a hassle. She is a very close family friend, almost like a relative of mine.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
they don't ask for ID, so you could definitely order online without any problems but it is not the most honorable thing to do. you're only supposed to use the education discount if you are the educator (teacher, professor) or student and have a valid ID from a college/university.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
Yes you could but it's not honest. The college discount is there for those that are in school (cause Apple understands that college kids don't have much money). Your conscience...

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Well and the random audits that Apple does to check to make sure you're a student ...

Its just fraud really ...

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
well im going to be in college in a few years so its kinda like im buying it early

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.