Education Discount, WHAT?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sammyman, Mar 25, 2005.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I am a student, but I just realized after I placed an order that anyone could say that they were a student. Shouldn't Apple have some way to check if the purchase was really made by a student? Isn't that a little strange?

2. mac-er macrumors 65816

Usually, for small purchases they don't check.

But, if you make a really large purchase, they will verify with the school that you are a student.

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

They do perform random checks. I've been selected randomly on three seperate occassions, and I've only bought like 5 physical objects from the store!

They sent me an email saying that I was chosen at random for an educational qualification check. The email instructed me to fax them a copy of my student ID and a copy of my class schedule for the current semester.

4. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

when I bought my PB at the store, they asked for drivers and student ID. Even when I bought an iPOd at school, they asked for school ID. And they filled out some kind of paperwork and I had to sign it.. don't know what that was about.

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

If you buy an object from the store, they will always check your id.

If you buy an object online, they will perform random student checks.

I have only bought my PB with the student discount, and was not checked on that occasion...

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

When i bought my powerbook i didn't get checked.

7. LGRW3919 macrumors regular

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I've bought many things with my discount, not once have they checked. They do ask for student ID in the store, though.

It's bascially on the honor system. Key word being honor.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

When i bought mine (basicly everything in my sig execpt the 3g ipod) at the apple store they never asked to see any form of ID. Nothing no Drivers licences or school schedule.... :rolleyes:

10. iGary Guest

iGary

My recent switcher convert was given the educational discount just to puch him over the edge at the store. I guess they can use it at their discretion.