Education discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Smitty, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Smitty macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I go to college and i want to buy an iMac from apples website but you have to be 18 to buy from them but as i am not old enough would it be alright if i got my mum to buy it for me? Also i live in the UK if that makes any difference?
    Thanks Smitty

2. rockandrule macrumors 6502

As far as I am aware you do not need to be 18 to get the edu discount, but you do need to be a student at a university to get it.

3. Smitty thread starter macrumors newbie

4. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    really? So if you are younger, you can't get it?

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

How did you get that? I just went to the edu store and got an entirely different agreement that said nothing about being 18.

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

UK site? vs USA site?

8. Smitty thread starter macrumors newbie

what so if your on the US site you dont have to be 18?
    You guys get everything cheap anyway.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I looked at the US site. I guess that could be the case. Well, I say agree to it. If you are under 18, you can legally enter a binding agreement. What's the worst they can do to you?

10. Melkor macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure if you got your mum to buy it you can still get the discount. They also asked me to scan my college id and send it.

11. Smitty thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks for your input i will tell you how it goes when i got the rest of the cash.
    thanks

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

check his status and refuse his order if he cant prove he meets the requirements.....that's what they do when they catch somebody lying

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Then the OP is back where he/she started. Doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

14. Smitty thread starter macrumors newbie

yeh but i do its just my mum buying it for me its just that i dont have a card to pay for it with and plus i am under 18

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well, anybody can provide the payment. Apple is happy to take money from people! in theory somebody would need to qualify for the price offer.

16. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

why did Apple discontinue the educational discount for High School students, they are just as big of a market as college students :mad:

17. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

I don't think it's that big of a deal...money is money after all.

If you have an apple store locally you could have a friend who is at Uni use his/her ID (if they even ask for it) then have your mom pay.

Probably a lot of work for nothing, but just an idea.

18. whitetrashanth macrumors member

you have to be 18 to go to UNIVERCITY HERE,.. ie to take a degree you NEED to be 18 and over.. fact

19. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I was in the same situation. I was a student, but not yet 18. I used my mum's credit card to pay and there wasn't a problem.

20. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Apple don't mind who's paying as long as the intended recipient is a student in full-time education.

There are different discount rates for FE and HE institutions (UK speak, FE is usually below 18, HE is post 18 and mainly undergrad stuff).

They will notice if you start buying a machine a week and re-sell to your friends...:rolleyes:

21. jung_offender macrumors member

I shop with my ed discount on their 0800 number and have never even been asked which uni I'm at, none-the-less my age.

22. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

You have an NUS card?

Apple have their own NUS edu site, go to www.nusonline.co.uk>Special Offers>Computers & Electronics, but you need to register your card on that site first in order to get the link.

::20ROGERSC::

23. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Wrong. Further education is any education that occurs after leaving school, which can post-16 or post-18. Higher education has traditionally implied degree (and in the past HNC or HND qualifications, often studied at Ploytechnics, which have now been subsumed into the university system). The meaning of the term 'Higher Education' is now fairly blurred due to the insistence by the powers that be (government?) that vocational courses have equal status as academic courses.
    As far as Apple is concerned, here in the UK, school pupils do not qualify for an edu discount (but teachers and the schools themselves do), whereas FE or HE students (college or university) do. Students at institutions such as colleges or universities affiliated to the NUS qualify for higher rates of discount, but can only access them from a university website or by pre-registering on the NUS website and shopping via the Apple link on the NUS site.

24. Smitty thread starter macrumors newbie

the problem with NUSonline is that you have to have a special card for the site and i dont have one but is it any cheaper than the Edu discount off Apple?

Thanks

25. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

17" 1.9Ghz £790.78
    20" 2.1Ghz £1,043.40

::20ROGERSC::