Education discounts around the world

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pmac, Jun 2, 2004.

1. pmac macrumors newbie

May 30, 2004
    Hi all,
    I am interested to know from all of you what sort of discount you get being a university student in various places. I understand in several places (the US and Australia) that the discount is 10% for any uni student.

I ask because I am a PhD student trying to buy a powerbook and unfortunately we don't have an online education store here in NZ. One place that I have enquired with says that you can only get a 10% discount if you buy directly using a university account which I may be able to do but would definitely take some organising.
    The actual 'student' discount they offer is pretty crap in comparison (about $80 on a $4000 computer). Another apple tertiary rep has quoted about 10% off retail. I have tried to ask him if this is also only buying through a university account (which the other store told me was a NZ-wide policy) but he has been really slow with any communication.
    Is this store trying to pull a swifty or do education discounts get applied like this in other countries as well? I feel a bit annoyed because this computer will be used almost entirely for research work and writing up but just because I am paying for it myself I may not be able to get a reasonable discount.
  2. micsaund macrumors 6502

May 31, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    About 10% for me here in Colorado, USA. $2500 PB15 goes for $2300. Some items are the full 10%, others are slightly less (like the PB15). I guess that Apple wanted to keep the prices "even" (here in the US, everything is xxx99.99 - it's stupid IMO). So, a full 10% would have been an "odd" number (~$2250) so they reduced the discount to achieve the "normal" price of $2299.

3. sambo. macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    outback, far from the surf
    15% in Oz......

you get a 15% off retail (for everything) on the education discount in Oz.
    you can get the discount at any apple reseller by showing a current student card...... :)
  4. bannor macrumors member

Jun 4, 2004
    Is there an education discount in Canada? I couldn't find a link to an education store on Apple Canada's website. Also, does anyone know if Apple Canada has a section for Specials/Refurbs?

5. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    yes there is. just click "education" on the left panel under "who are you"

You'll have to choose your university and college and type in your student number and then you get access to the student prices