Education Discounts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by semaja2, Mar 9, 2007.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

My dad has a Apple account and i brought my iMac off it using a education discount, now if my brother was to buy another imac using a education discount from a different Uni (i goto tafe) but uses the same account would it make any differences?

Like would they see it as 1 person buying 2 macs and breaking the rules or what?

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Only one iMac per person per year.
    I mean, maybe the clerk would overlook it, but... rules is rules.

Why can't he use his edu discount if he goes to uni?

3. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

If you buy it online they technically have no way to know. I am not condoning that.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well, first off the rule is one per year...so you only have to worry if you just purchased yours and he needs his before the year is out.

Because you are two different students, I think you guys will be ok...it'll help if you guys don't use the same payment method (like if your brother pays for himself, even if your dad pays him back).

5. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

He would be using his own edu discount, just my dad is paying for the equipment and would just be easier to use our already setup account etc. But you all think it would be safer to just create a new account as to not confuse the systems or what not then i guess thats what we will do.

6. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I think as long as you use a different university you should be fine.

EDIT: If it's not going to be a custom machine you could always go to the Apple Store (if you live near one)

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Before you go through the trouble of creating another account, you could always call Apple and ask if it's going to be a problem. As long as you guys can prove you are both students, you might be able to avoid trouble by asking them about it up front.

8. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Just create a new account... you could have done it in the time you've made these posts. Unless a parent's credit card is saved in one-click on the one account and your brother doesn't have access to it anymore... ;) then you're ****ed.

Or go to a store in person.

9. scan macrumors 6502

I've broken the 1 per year edu discount before online. Don't worry, they will never find out.

10. infz macrumors member

infz

When your dad bought you your mac, it was you getting the mac, not your dad. Parents are allowed to make the educational-discount mac purchase on behalf of their student children, that's in the rules. When you go through the online form it will ask for your brother's student ID etc., and that's the only part that's used to verify that they are a student. It doesn't matter how it's getting paid for. If Apple ever asks you can explain the situation and they'll be cool with it; but they won't. You're not doing anything wrong here. I'm preeetty sure that's how it works.

11. hal0n macrumors regular

i agree. this is pretty cut and dry. you could easily verify that it is legit... if they even ask.

12. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The one-per-year-per-person rule is to prevent students from going into the resale business. You and your brother are both students and both entitled to the discount. That your father is giving you the money is a technicality and Apple won't care. The very worst that could happen is that Apple could ask to see your student ID's. That happens rarely online. It happens frequently in stores but so does parents paying for their children's computers.

13. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Yep, sounds legit to me... two students... two iMac's.

Worst case is that apple will call you and ask for validation of status.

14. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I also have broken the one per year rule.

Take a chance, what have you to loose? :cool:

FJ

15. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

I have purchased more than one mac in a year on the same account without any problems. Me and my wife were students, but she doesn't have an Apple account.

16. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

TO be honest, i've only used my edu discount for accessories - you can get a refurb Mac a lot cheaper than even edu pricing. Maybe he should look into doing that. That way he could save some money and not break any of Apple's rules. It's a two-fer!

17. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

don't worry... what you are doing is legitimate. go ahead and buy the second mac off of the same account. I had the same situation... my sister and I both went off to college, and each bought a MBP w/ edu discount from the same account. I actually called Apple to confirm this was okay, and they were perfectly fine with it. From what I gather, Apple doesn't really check to see if you go over your limit... but if they somehow notice, an explanation of the situation will resolve everything.