Education iMac: For Institutions Only

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Multiple readers report that Apple's $899 iMac has been designated as an education institution purchase only product.

For the past week, the education-only iMac had been available to both qualified education individuals and institutions. There has been no official explanation from Apple on the quick change.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    Gainesville, Fl
    That sucks for everybody :-\ But that will be good for all colleges and high schools!
  3. macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2003
    lol and a million cries go out as Mac users everywhere weep....

And then we remember about the new MacPros.
  4. Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Oh, that sucks big time. Guess the margins just aren't high enough...
  5. macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    probably cut into the regular imacs sales too much.
  6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors member

May 3, 2004

Oh that is soooo going to P.O. my girlfriend. She's an elementary teacher and I just finished convincing her to buy one of those when they became available in Canada. :eek:

It makes me want to cry everytime I go over there and have to use her old e-machines... :mad: :eek: :(
  8. macrumors 6502

May 17, 2006
    England, United Kingdom
    Still there in the UK NUS store - Grab one whilst you can, I guess.
  9. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2006
    Oh come on .. Well know why this was done. Just go read the post about when it was released. I could see this coming a mile away. Either a they would do this or b they would start doing the audits they talk about with educational purchases. There must have been atleast 50 people who blatantly posted about abusing the discount on a "public forum" and hundreds maybe thousands more who thougt of it. Lets say I owned a store and I saw a forum online where 50 plus people said they knew a way to rip off my store, do you think I would leave it vulnerable? I dont know ... maybe this is the reason or maybe it isnt but I think ts great they did it. Because now all the people who thought they could do this and thought its no different from walking in a store and walking out with out paying for an item, will have to mow a few more lawns or bag a few more grocerys and pay what the rest of the honest people out there will. I know I know I am sounding uber negative here but not nearly as negative as someone trying to justify stealing on a "public forum".

10. macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2003
    Hopefully this is just a short term supply and demand thing. There probably aren't enough to go around currently for both institutional and individual purchases, especially if they just received a few large institutional orders. Once inventory ramps back up on them, hopefully they'll be available again for purchase by education individuals.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2005
    New Jersey
    Bad move...

Obviously, there is huge demand for cheaper Macs. Cheap doesn't equal bad!

Mac minis should start at $399
    iMacs should start at $899
    MacBooks should start at $799
    MacBook Pros should start at $1499
    Mac Pros should start at $1499

There is no reason this wouldn't work.
  12. macrumors member

Oct 21, 2005
    Reading, PA
    Upgraders dismay

So much for buying the 80gb / 512 version and upgrading it to my hearts desire (for less of a cost for buying th normal entry model).
  13. macrumors regular

Nov 14, 2003
    Get a new girlfriend who uses a Mac. Problem solved.

14. 68134, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

macrumors member

Feb 27, 2006
  15. macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    You can't drop the price and maintain the quality, champ...
  16. macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2003
    Sounds ok to me

I'm sure a .edu-discounted MacBook is going to be close in price anyway, and then there's the Mac mini, I doubt the student's Mac will usually be their first computer ever. Either one is probably a better fit.

The $900 iMac really is an institutional product, not aimed at personal users. Personally I think it'd work well as a corporate product too, if Apple could actually start selling to corporate customers.
  17. Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Gordon Moore would probably beg to differ. By the time Merom is out the current Yonah processors should become cheap enough to allow a $100-$200 price drop for a Mac mini.

It would work quite well as a secondary Mac in a multi-Mac family too...

18. macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    Interesting...I just wouldn't want Apple to have to resort to using Celeron processors to make their products cheap. My main consideration for buying a Mac was not just the OS, but the fact that I knew I was getting a quality machine that would stand the test of time and not fry like my Vaio desktop did after 2 years...
  19. macrumors 6502

May 17, 2006
    England, United Kingdom
    How is that exactly? It’s a MacBook with a stand and a bigger screen. How is it not for personal use?
  20. macrumors regular

Jun 8, 2004
    This is nothing new to Apple. They wouldn't have pulled it just cause some bozos posted about it on this board or other boards. It's been known for YEARS that you could do this.
  21. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    The Mac mini and iMac are in dire need of an update. The Mini doesn't really need a speed boost either. Just drop the price to $499 Solo and $599 Duo.
  22. macrumors regular

Jun 8, 2004
    And I "should" be given a MacBook Pro for free for being a loyal customer. But it ain't gonna happen.
  23. macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, California
    Yes that is true but by then, that technology is out dated. The reason new technology is expensive is because its...well new
  24. macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2006
    Get off your high horse

Guess what - now a bunch of people who were going to buy this won't buy anything and just wait. Great. You're so obsessed with calling it stealing - HEY - guess what - Apple still makes money off of it and last time I checked making $ is better than not making $. We even see legitimate edu customers getting shafted by this. One poor guy's g/f is now stuck with an e-machine. Yeah that's just wonderful. Is it stealing if you go to and get the $100 discount on the MacBook? That's all it is - a $100 discount (historically speaking) and apple is, in fact, in the business of 1 - Making $ and 2- Increasing user-base (which results in making money). Hurry hurry, quick quick. Grab a calculator. What is greater. 10%*899*1000(just a guess as to how many purchases would be made by people who otherwise aren't going to get a Mac) or 0*0*0. That's right - if you sell things at any profit margin to people who otherwise wouldn't buy anything you are still doing better!!!!!!!!!! Get an economic brain in your head - or better yet - grab some common sense and get off your high horse.
  25. macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2006
    What would you do to update them, then? What is there to update? Add another USB 2.0 slot? Dire need for nothing. As long as they are selling, there won't be a change, not until the new processors start rolling out come september - december.