Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
bigmc6000 said:
Guess what - now a bunch of people who were going to buy this won't buy anything and just wait. Great. You're so obsessed with calling it stealing - HEY - guess what - Apple still makes money off of it and last time I checked making $ is better than not making $. We even see legitimate edu customers getting shafted by this. One poor guy's g/f is now stuck with an e-machine. Yeah that's just wonderful. Is it stealing if you go to Amazon.com and get the $100 discount on the MacBook? That's all it is - a $100 discount (historically speaking) and apple is, in fact, in the business of 1 - Making $ and 2- Increasing user-base (which results in making money). Hurry hurry, quick quick. Grab a calculator. What is greater. 10%*899*1000(just a guess as to how many purchases would be made by people who otherwise aren't going to get a Mac) or 0*0*0. That's right - if you sell things at any profit margin to people who otherwise wouldn't buy anything you are still doing better!!!!!!!!!! Get an economic brain in your head - or better yet - grab some common sense and get off your high horse.

Apple is greedy, what's new.

They rather make $0 than to make less, because you know why? The person who end up not getting still has that desire to satisfy, the person who bought cheap? There goes the near future sale.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
illegalprelude said:
Yes that is true but by then, that technology is out dated. The reason new technology is expensive is because its...well new
You are right. However, Apple continued to use the G4 in lots of products while still selling other G5 based products.

B

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I can almost swear the initial press release announced this as an "institutional purchase only" product. I was actually surprised when students or teachers claimed they could order it as well. Maybe they just noticed their mistake and pulled it from personal purchase channels.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
diablojota said:
What would you do to update them, then? What is there to update? Add another USB 2.0 slot? Dire need for nothing. As long as they are selling, there won't be a change, not until the new processors start rolling out come september - december.

iMac - speed bump (Yonah goes up to 2.33 GHz)
Mac Mini - price drop (tad bit over priced compared to the educational iMac)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Hector said:
probably cut into the regular imacs sales too much.
That's exactly what some are speculating. Which means Apple pulls products like this if they are too unpopular (not enough education sales to justify the product) or if they are too popular (enough education sales to cut into their non-education sales).

OldSkoolNJ said:
Well know why this was done. Just go read the post about when it was released. I could see this coming a mile away. Either a they would do this or b they would start doing the audits they talk about with educational purchases. There must have been atleast 50 people who blatantly posted about abusing the discount on a "public forum" and hundreds maybe thousands more who thougt of it...
I doubt that's the reason, because the same is true of every other education deal. Apple chooses how tough to be about verifying student status, knowing that some people always try to beat the system.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hyperpasta said:
Bad move...

Obviously, there is huge demand for cheaper Macs. Cheap doesn't equal bad!

Mac minis should start at $399
iMacs should start at $899
MacBooks should start at $799
MacBook Pros should start at $1499
Mac Pros should start at $1499

There is no reason this wouldn't work.

Yes. Absolutly. I still hear the argument that Macs are expensive. For example my brother needed a new computer. Even the lowest price Apple computer would cost something like $700. His budget was $250. He was able to buy a generic 2Ghz Celeron mini tower. The $250 system was fast enough for normal email and web browsing. He didn't say that the Mac Mini was "over priced" just that it was "expansive" there is a difference.
Apple simply ignores the low end and this is what most people buy.

They do really need a $399 entry level machine.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Maybe the $899 iMac is a holdover for people who need to buy now. August 7 could have something that is much nicer than that...next gen eMac?:confused:

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
Didn't they do something like this with the eMac when it first came out? It took them a while to release that eventually to the public. My guess is what happened is that they relized that there was a lot of demand for these amongst students and teachers and got worried that they wouldn't have enough to supply the schools. Lets face it, in terms of educational markets landing a school is a big deal. Losing a few individual sales is not. The institutional deals are where the money is in education. Conisdering that its now July and summer vacation there may be a number of schools in the process of upgrades.

Either way, I really do feel it is time for Apple to drop their prices not raise them like they have with their entire product line. Most of the world is not made of money, in particular small businesses. Apple really needs to start thinking about that market. the eMac worked really well for small businesses. $800 for an all-in-one. Now you can get a headless mini for $800 add in a monitor and a keyboard and mouse and you're creeping up on $1,000. It's really hard for an IT person to convince the boss to buy a new $1,000 computer when they see eMachines at Walmart for under $500. Sure Apple's are better than an eMachine, but does someone who will be word processing and browsing the internet really need a core duo, isight, etc. etc. etc.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
hmm. Dell used to sell top of the line computers. Used to be the quality computer to get. Now they're, um, catching on fire in very select instances and generally kind of cheap feeling. Maybe Apple computers could stand to lose a little bit off the price, but i'm not wanting Apple to turn into Dell just like Dell turned into Dell. Yes, Dell sells the most computers, but i don't want any of them.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
ChrisA said:
They do really need a $399 entry level machine.

...only if Apple wanted to go AFTER that market segment... to date they haven't (and for many good reasons).

KREX725

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
baleensavage said:
Didn't they do something like this with the eMac when it first came out? It took them a while to release that eventually to the public. My guess is what happened is that they relized that there was a lot of demand for these amongst students and teachers and got worried that they wouldn't have enough to supply the schools.

That was my first thought too. Maybe they got enough response from non-schools that they are worried the supply wouldn't hold up to get the schools stocked before the new school year.

Just like the eMac originally being this way, I think once school is in full swing and Apple is caught up, we'll see these offered to teachers and higher edu students.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Leoff said:
And I "should" be given a MacBook Pro for free for being a loyal customer. But it ain't gonna happen.

This isn't as hard to pull off as it looks.

Let's take the $399 Mac mini as an example. Starting with the current $599 model, we need to take it down $200. First, the Mac mini is now five months old. We know its overpriced, since the MacBook Pro has had TWO processor speed boosts during the time that the Mac mini has been availible. In addition, Yonah chips will be price-dropped dramatically when Merom is released. Other components have probably become cheaper too. Let's say that the cheaper components add up to a $150 price drop. Reasonable.

Now if we chop the HD to 4200 RPM and 40GB, remove Bluetooth, and use slower RAM, we could easily shave off another $50.

Laugh at this configuration all you like, but I'm much more likely to buy a $399 computer to use as a streaming media box on top of my TV than a $599 one.

It also works great for the average family. Us on MR tend to expect more from our computers. This $399 Mac mini configuration would be perfectly capable of holding large-sized iTunes and iPhoto libraries, maybe some light video editing here and there, making music with GarageBand, publishing a blog with iWeb, video conferencing, browsing the internet, etc.

And with the next revision, it could easily be improved upon.

TheSailerMan

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2006
New York, New York
Wow, my mom got really lucky. This Saturday, my family went to the Apple Store on 5th Avenue, and my dad and I were finally able to convince my mom (a special ed. teacher) to switch to a Mac. So my dad ordered the education iMac for my mom on Sunday, and it'll ship tommorrow.

If it wasn't for the edu. iMac, my dad probably wouldv'e ordered a Mac mini, bu tthe iMac was such a better deal (my mom doesn't use bluetooth or burn DVDs).

alep85

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
bigmc6000 said:
Guess what - now a bunch of people who were going to buy this won't buy anything and just wait. Great. You're so obsessed with calling it stealing - HEY - guess what - Apple still makes money off of it and last time I checked making $ is better than not making $. We even see legitimate edu customers getting shafted by this. One poor guy's g/f is now stuck with an e-machine. Yeah that's just wonderful. Is it stealing if you go to Amazon.com and get the $100 discount on the MacBook? That's all it is - a $100 discount (historically speaking) and apple is, in fact, in the business of 1 - Making $ and 2- Increasing user-base (which results in making money). Hurry hurry, quick quick. Grab a calculator. What is greater. 10%*899*1000(just a guess as to how many purchases would be made by people who otherwise aren't going to get a Mac) or 0*0*0. That's right - if you sell things at any profit margin to people who otherwise wouldn't buy anything you are still doing better!!!!!!!!!! Get an economic brain in your head - or better yet - grab some common sense and get off your high horse.

I agree with you in a lot of ways.....being a business major, I understand the need for margin on a product....HOWEVER, Apple should first be interested in gaining MARKET SHARE. With this little $899 baby, Apple had a chance to really market a one-size-fits-all solution for many families. For instance, I work at Best Buy in computer sales and I see NO NEED for anything past Intel Integrated Graphics on the computers we sell to 75-80 percent of the people that come in a purchase a computer. The educational iMac would have been PERFECT for the masses, a computer that's more than capable for what most people want to do with it, with the capability for a little bit of gaming as well. Anyone who needs more can get the one with the graphics card.

I agree with the fact that margin has to be made, but there comes a time when you have to gain market share. Once you've done that and the volume of business you are doing is much greater than before (and your competitors are in the dust, much like I would like Dell and Windows to be), you can increase your margin and please the shareholders....

My two cents, Apple messed up on this one, hopefully we see that iMac configuration or a similar model on the market soon...

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I had a feeling this would happen. Actually no I assumed this was how it would be from the beginning, was a bit surprised any Educationists could get one.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
bcharna said:
Most people who buy Macs are somewhat creative. With a Celeron processor, you can't be very creative...

How about a Core Solo? I thought they were about as fast as an early G5. Plus the Intel graphics are actually faster for 2D stuff (playing video, for instance) than an accelerator card with 64MB of VRAM.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
alep85 said:
I agree with you in a lot of ways.....being a business major, I understand the need for margin on a product....HOWEVER, Apple should first be interested in gaining MARKET SHARE. With this little $899 baby, Apple had a chance to really market a one-size-fits-all solution for many families. For instance, I work at Best Buy in computer sales and I see NO NEED for anything past Intel Integrated Graphics on the computers we sell to 75-80 percent of the people that come in a purchase a computer. The educational iMac would have been PERFECT for the masses, a computer that's more than capable for what most people want to do with it, with the capability for a little bit of gaming as well. Anyone who needs more can get the one with the graphics card.

I agree with the fact that margin has to be made, but there comes a time when you have to gain market share. Once you've done that and the volume of business you are doing is much greater than before (and your competitors are in the dust, much like I would like Dell and Windows to be), you can increase your margin and please the shareholders....

My two cents, Apple messed up on this one, hopefully we see that iMac configuration or a similar model on the market soon...

Excellent points made! Apple messed up bigtime!

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Macrumors said:
For the past week, the education-only iMac had been available to both qualified education individuals and institutions. There has been no official explanation from Apple on the quick change.

Obviously because allowing students and teachers to purchase the machine would just anger regular consumers and increase the calls for the machine to be available as a regular item to everyone. :rolleyes:

And that would lower sales of other, higher cost, iMacs. Duh.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
bcharna said:
Most people who buy Macs are somewhat creative. With a Celeron processor, you can't be very creative...
I don't know why the Celeron keeps coming up. I and others think it's quite likely Apple could drop the price on the current Core Solo $599 unit to $499 based on the reduction of costs of the CPU, chipset and other components, now that they are 6 months old... In fact they might even be able to use a faster Core Solo processor at the same time. If the prices haven't dropped yet they will soon, real soon. Merom is just around the corner...

iMikeT said:
Was the eMac ever available for everyone?

Yes, it was even available retail at places like CompUSA.

B

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
hyperpasta said:
Bad move...

Obviously, there is huge demand for cheaper Macs. Cheap doesn't equal bad!

Mac minis should start at $399
iMacs should start at $899
MacBooks should start at $799
MacBook Pros should start at $1499
Mac Pros should start at $1499

There is no reason this wouldn't work.
I think a much more reasonable price point would be
Mac Minis at $499
iMacs at $999
MacBooks at $999
MacBook Pros at $1499
Mac Pros at $1499

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.