Education - Masters Degrees

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GoCubsGo, Nov 15, 2005.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was wondering if anyone here has a Master's degree and if so in what and where did you get it?

also, does anyone have an opinion on schools that offer MBAs and are fully accredited that don't require a GMAT to be taken?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, University of Illinois.

Sorry, can't help with the rest of your post.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I have a master's in science education from Teachers College, Columbia University and a master's in English from UNC-Charlotte.

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm working on my Masters of Arts in Teaching. It's an alternate route to obtaining a teaching license. I had to take the GRE, but I can't imagine not having to take GMAT for an MBA. I'm sure someone will give you some idea of accreditation and its importance...like who are they accredited by?!!

6. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

One has Middle States Association accreditation
    the other is Western States ... due to its location.

7. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Master in Electrical Engineering and MBA

Why would you want to do a MBA without GMAT? .... try community college or so :confused:

8. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Assumption is a trait that community college teaches. I simply asked "does anyone have an opinion on schools that offer MBAs and are fully accredited that don't require a GMAT to be taken?" HUGE difference my friend. I'm trying to figure out why some colleges don't and some do. Don't even degrade me by telling me to check out a CC because I asked about people's opinions.

Or maybe you were taught to do that. I'm not sure, if so my bad.

9. vniow macrumors G4

Wow, could you be more of a bitch next time someone tries to offer you help? I don't think that was quite enough. Just because Hoef suggests a community college doesn't mean you have to go all elisist and prissy about it.

Geez.

-Ani (community college student)

10. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was hardly prissy about it. His words to me were received as "prissy." If I was a bitch I am 100% sorry, but my intent was to inform that I did not even imply that I was looking for a college that didn't need an GMAT, I was looking for opinions on colleges that didn't want them. It's not like there is a lot of research on it.
    I know you all protect your own, but seriously--look at it from both sides.

11. hoyboy9 macrumors member

Take the GMAT and go to the best school you can afford. If cost is the issue holding you back, consider that the best business schools in the country cost upwards of $40K a year or more. Taking the GMAT is a pittance compared to that. Plus, your potential salary after graduating will be worth the cost and effort.

If an MBA is in your future, the GMAT test is a cakewalk compared to the intense two years that follow. To me, there is absolutely no reason to not shoot for the stars because a small test is holding you back.

I think you know this deep down, and were unhappy being called on it by Hoef. Just take the test and shoot for the stars! :)

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

M.Div. (Master of Divinity)
    D.Min. (Doctor of Ministry)
    Dallas Theological Seminary

Not that it matters

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

13. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

M.S. in Information Systems
    M.S. in Engineering Management

Both from Drexel University.

I thought that an MBA program needed to have the GMAT as an admission criterion in order to be accredited. But I am not positive about this.

Hickman

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

MA in English from the Unviversity of Maine, Masters of Arts in Teaching from Brown University.

Both are wonderful schools and both are, as far as I know, entirely devoid of MBA programs.

Give up on business. Go teach. :cool:

16. Uma888 macrumors 6502

What was doing Information Systems like @ Masters level? I hope to do that after i finish my degree :p

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm just a little curious why you're interested in a business school that doesn't require the GMAT. To me that seems a bit like asking for a recommendation of a good detective novel that doesn't include the word "sleuth." What's the point?

18. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I have a Master of Music degree in composition for new media, not that it means anything, it was a contractual obligation for my post at the Uni a few years ago.

The subject is largely irrelevant in academic circles, the fact of the award is more important.

I doubt they'd give me a job on a maths dept however....:D

19. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Ohhh you are not trying to minimize the effort getting the MBA degree but you are just researching the topic .... sorry about that, good luck and let us know what came out of it.

I wouldn't care for any MBA program that doesn't have the GMAT in their admission process

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm surprised that there are any programs that don't require a GMAT or equivalent test. I'm a bit suspicious of the validity of aptitude tests in general, but I approve of them in the context of upholding a standard of admission.

In my field (archeology) there is NO WAY you'd get into a grad program without taking the GRE.

21. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

First off, I'm a science student, so don't know much about the artsy schools, but it seems that these grad/pre-grad (whatever you want to call them) tests are way more popular in the US. I've never seen a school requiring them for any of the placements I've looked at (science, Canada). Maybe there's MBAs in other countries that don't require this test, but are just a recognized as those that do.

22. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Masters of Public Administration, Nonprofit Policy and Managemet - New York University

23. Garcia macrumors member

Hey Jess, dont worry about these few people, you get quite a few stuck-up types around here, the best thing to do is just ignore them or report the post, there are many trolls that just try to start fights/try to make people look stupid. Dont waste your time on them friend

24. Garcia macrumors member

Do MBA programs with GMAT teach (1) thorough research (2) Option assessment (3) Sound decision making? (4) General politeness/courtesy? If so, I'll presume your program didnt have it.

There is no need to disrespect someone for asking questions. "The smart ones ask when they don't know. And, sometimes when they do" - Malcolm Forbes

25. Garcia macrumors member

So its OK to make a pop over a question is it? Have a go and expect no retaliation?