Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
Anybody have the "configured for education only" PowerMac 733? And if so are you satisfied with it? I'm thinking of getting one in September and I'd like to hear some opinions. I can't afford a better one. So don't tell me to buy the dual processor unit with the level 3 cache. It ain't gonna happen. :)

It's an eMac, an iMac or the PM. I think I should go with the PM just for the expandiblility and the faster bus even though the iMac IS cool. Also I'll be running Virtual PC (so I can run MS visual studio 6.0) so I probably need the slight extra performance of the PM. Any thoughts?

dh

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I am quite sure that the Edu. 733mhz will have been updated by September (that is if the current line is updated) I have a 733mhz as a graphics workstation at work and it works fine.

Ensign

dhdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
Originally posted by Ensign Paris:

I am quite sure that the Edu. 733mhz will have been updated by September (that is if the current line is updated) I have a 733mhz as a graphics workstation at work and it works fine.

I assume this will be the case as well, but you never know. If anything it will most likely just be a speed bump to 800mhz or so in the processor. Which, of course, would be fine by me. :)

dh

stoid

macrumors 601
I got the 733Mhz PM just after last MWNY, and I'm more than satisfied with speed, just wish I didn't have to shell out 129 &#;@ dollars for 10.2 and 30 for QuickTime, and 50 to keep my .Mac E-mail, but you've heard all that already, so I'll shutup.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Just the ability to upgrade the graphics card will keep you happy a lot longer than an all-in-one will.

The expandability and the upgradeability is definitely worth the cost of a monitor.

Heck I've got a G4/400 Tower and don't really have a problem with it, I'd like to upgrade the video but have Apple's orphaned analog ADC monitor.

dhdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
Originally posted by Sun Baked :

Heck I've got a G4/400 Tower and don't really have a problem with it, I'd like to upgrade the video but have Apple's orphaned analog ADC monitor.

I love those monitors. I never realized that you were stuck with the card because of ADC. That sucks. :(

dh

digital1

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
Re: Education only PowerMac

Originally posted by dhdave
Anybody have the "configured for education only" PowerMac 733? And if so are you satisfied with it? I'm thinking of getting one in September and I'd like to hear some opinions. I can't afford a better one. So don't tell me to buy the dual processor unit with the level 3 cache. It ain't gonna happen. :)

It's an eMac, an iMac or the PM. I think I should go with the PM just for the expandiblility and the faster bus even though the iMac IS cool. Also I'll be running Virtual PC (so I can run MS visual studio 6.0) so I probably need the slight extra performance of the PM. Any thoughts?

dh

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am kind of in the same situation. I can't afford a dual, so I was looking at either moderately priced 800, decently configured 733 with lots of ram or an iMac. The New 17 in. is starting to look good. I am more constrained by the money here like the original poster. All your comments have been helpful BTW and whatever other advice you can offer that would be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.