Education Taxes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HuskyDomains, Jun 16, 2004.

1. HuskyDomains macrumors newbie

This may seem like a silly question, but if I purchase my powerbook with the educational discount do I get any sort of a tax break. I know that certain items such as college textbooks purchased through UConn are tax free.. Does this depend on the state your living in?.. Someone inform me :cool:

2. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Death and Taxes, two things that will remain constant until the end of time.

4. Mr Poop E Pantz macrumors member

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

school as an institution can get tax breaks as a non-profit.

but educational discount is purely apple doing students a favor. so unless you don't have to pay taxes in general (like NH or DE), you have to pay the tax for educational discount.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Actually it would depend on the state. Some states do not charge sales tax on educational purchases. I have seen this applied to textbooks mostly. There maybe states out there that extend the no tax on educational purchases to computers.

Apple may apply the sales tax even though it is not required. At that point if the state does not collect sales tax on educational computer purchases, the user then would apply for a refund.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

right. certain entities have tax-exempt status, but that's done state by state and you have to apply and usuually use a special form. if you're just a student you're not likely to qualify, absent some special tax break specifically for students.

8. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

taxesssssssssssssssss are so much at apple.com :-(