Educational Apple Pricing w/ Tax Vs. Online Retailer w/o Tax @ Regular Price

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gwe, Nov 14, 2003.

1. gwe macrumors newbie

Hey guys, thanks for reading this:

What's a better deal? Educational Pricing on a powerbook 15" w/ backlit keyboard and taxes from Apple, or Regular Pricing w/o taxes from an online retailer?

Ciao
    GW

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Re: Educational Apple Pricing w/ Tax Vs. Online Retailer w/o Tax @ Regular Price

With all due respect get a calculator, figure it out, and see which one has the lower number. It really depends on what additional options you get and what your tax rate is.

Although... the Edu discount is 10% so in theory as long as your tax rate is less than 10% you will save more at the Apple store (I think). But then you have to factor in the rebate deals of other places.

3. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Also, remember that Apple Store will charge shipping, while many online palces will not. I went with the apple store, because I could also get applecare for a big discount. But if you're only looking at the computer, it will only be slightly cheaper at the apple store after taxes and shipping - almost a wash.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The shipping on my iBook was free. Although in reality I bumped it to 2 days shipping for $15. But normal shipping was free.

5. papersushi macrumors regular

Shipping is FREE on apple online store for anything that is over $50.

No wonder Apple sells a lot of stuff for $49.95, either pay the shipping or get another item to get free shipping as long as it's more than 5 cents. LOL