Educational discount: any figures?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Blue Velvet, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We're on the verge of buying another PM for the office. As a registered charity, we're eligible for a discount on certain models although a quick chat with Apple UK tonight reveals it to be a whopping 6%.

We didn't get that discount on our dual 2.5s last year because they were in the 1st quarter of shipping (or so I was told).

Has anybody bought any Apple hardware recently with an edu discount?
    What was the actual percentage of that discount?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

depends on the model, its varies between the different models and specs as to how much the discount is. which model(s) were you looking at?

(btw, the discount is never that much anyways, but anything helps a student really)

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I have ordered a few things since my wife is a teacher. General discount is in the range of 6-14% where larger discounts are seen on bigger ticket (aka higher margin) products.

Edit: Also, the discount on Tiger is an astonishing 47%

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

1.8 single PM, although the other option is to take a chance with the refurb store and get something a little more powerful (no edu discount there).

It's just a bare-bones machine for running presentations for our plasma screen.

We're ditching the PC. It's a pile of manure.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Generally 10-15%, Blue.

The Dual 2.0 I am going to order is 1999 regularly, 1799 EDU.

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks. So 6% is par for course, then...

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Its on the low end for hardware discounts. My range covered most of the products sold (software, hardware, and accessories)

8. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

In my experience, in the U.S. market, the edu discount is not always a set percentage, but can vary item-to-item, possibly in an attempt to keep prices at prettier numbers, possibly for more substantive reasons.

For example, the 20" display is $699 edu, a 12.5% discount, while the new 2.7 GHz PM is $2699, a 10% discount. The 14" iBook is $1399, only a 6.7% discount.

9. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Strictly speaking, we're not an educational organisation so a discount at the bottom end of the percentage range would seem appropriate.

Thanks for all the info, guys.
    At least I now know what a realistic figure is.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the single 1.8Ghz powermac with education discount is $1349, originally priced at $1499, so looks about right just to give you a concrete example :D

11. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Which is what the PC we're currently using will be encased in before it swims with the fishes... :)

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i really laughed at that one! made me think you were going to let the computer mafia deal with it! :p ;)

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

We'ze hoid you been runnin' wit da wrong crowt, mr dell. We don't like youse usin' windose an' we don't tolrate no disrespectin' Blue's creativty, so we'ze got some 'sociates we gonna tawk to. Meet Smith. This 'ere is Wesson. Lez go.