Educational discount questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ArcticFox, May 24, 2005.

1. ArcticFox macrumors member

I'm both a student and the son of a middle school teacher, so I guess I get an educational discount. Which is good because otherwise I couldn't afford to get a Mac.

1. What sort of information, if any, do I need to provide in order to prove that I qualify?

2. I need to be able to have th ship-to and bill-to addresses different, this is possible right?

3. Will the order take longer than normal?

4. Can I bump up the shipping speed? Unless it's after the credit card info form I wasn't prompted to be able to do so.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You might or might not be asked to provide proof of eligibility (auditing is random), which might or might not require faxing your ID, transcript, etc.

Ship-to and bill-to can be different, but might delay things (credit card companies sometimes flag such shipments, but not frequently).

The delay to the order will be one of verifying your eligibility, which, as mentioned, might not even happen.

I don't know if you can specify faster shipping - if you live near an Apple Store, you can just buy one there and carry it home.

3. ArcticFox thread starter macrumors member

I can drive to an Apple store, yes, but this is a built-to-order job. I'm also paying for it by having my grandparents read me their credit card over the phone, and I can't just hand the Apple rep a slip of paper with the info on it and say "here...use this....I really do have permission".

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My wife is homeschooling, so we get to take advantage of the EDU discount. I have placed perhaps 5 orders with the online Apple Store, and have not been contacted for proof of our qualifications with any order.
    I have also not noticed an obvious lag in product delivery as a result of using the EDU store.
    You can have a different ship to address.

The only thing I wonder about is if you'll have issues using your own name/EDU credentials with someone else's credit card info. They may balk, thinking you are using someone else's cred to get a discount you don't qualify for. Can't hurt to try, though.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You can go to a local Apple Store to order your built to order Mac online. You would also allow to to purchase ProCare. Then call your grandparents and have them give the credit card information to the Apple Store staff member.

6. ArcticFox thread starter macrumors member

I just got off the phone with the nearest Store and they said the only way I could do a BTO machine is if I went online.

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

One thing that might slow the process down is if the credit card you are going to use has a cap of how can be spent in one day. For instance I cannot spend more then $500 dollars a day with my credit card. I had to call my credit card company and tell them that I was making a purchase greater than $500 before the funds could be transfered.

8. ArcticFox thread starter macrumors member

I highly doubt ordering a $2000 or so Mac will put them near the card's limit. :cool:

edit - sorry, you mean per day, which is also unlikely (they have like Platinum or whatever cards I think).

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I have ordered stuff online through the apple store using someone elses credit card ( with permission of course) and shipping it to a different address a few times now. Never had apple check out my student status nor check the credit card info.

10. simon-says macrumors regular

When I ordered my iPod from the Apple Store with the educational discount I didn't have to provide anything. I just went to the Education store, entered my school and proceeded to check out as normal. Maybe they contacted my school?

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Nope. Some people get asked to verify their credentials; most don't.

12. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Student ADC?

Since you mentioned $2000 BTO Mac and not the specific model, I would recommend you look at the student ADC (Apple Developer Connection) hardware prices. This assumes you're in college. The ADC membership costs $99, but you get much higher discounts on higher end systems like Power Macs than you would with a normal education discount. The downside is that there is a compulsory verification process for the ADC membership that could take a day or two (and the discounted price would apply ONLY IF you order AFTER the ADC verification).

Check http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html and the "Hardware Purchase Program Store (US)" on http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html

13. ArcticFox thread starter macrumors member

Nope, I'm in high school.

And the $2000 machine would be a dual 2Ghz with upgrades, but I'm looking into a dual 2.3Ghz box if I'm given the OK.

14. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

It put me really close i am a student and have a 1700 limit and after i got off phone i had 1 doller limit left LOL... :eek: That was close...

But i ordered mine today and they didn't ask for proof, plus i told my credit card company not to be worried about the Laptop i told them i was going to get one soon so they let it though (Usally they stop it real fast) but its all good will get computer Thursday i just missed the shipment have to do it before 2:00 for them to ship same day...

15. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

sorry to be a snobby man but after reading the generic thread title thread.

how many friggin threads are on EDU disc

i mean come on is it necessary for one to be started every week or 2

SEARCH!!!

come on people....

sorry if i sound like a jerk :(

16. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Yeah, you jerk! Go pick on some other newbies! :p :D

What gets me sometimes is the fact that halfway down the page, there is the exact same thread.

17. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

yea like wait til june for PB?

i swear i have only seen that one about 1k and 1 times

18. ArcticFox thread starter macrumors member