Educational discount (U.K)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mackinoe, Mar 13, 2007.

1. mackinoe macrumors newbie

I'm hoping to get a macbook this summer close to when I start university however I went onto the apple store site and it states I need to access it from the university network to be able to get the discount. Is there any way around this? As with only starting university in september it would be difficult for me to get onto the network.

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Basically no, because technically you are not enrolled as a student until you start college. You could see if your current school has educational pricing, but I doubt it's as good as higher ed. pricing - 15% or so.

So I think you'll have to wait, I'm afraid. :eek:

3. mackinoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I might be alright can still get on the proxy sever from my old university so I could get to the discount page :D

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Call them up and tell them you're starting uni soon.

It's what I did. I was due to start uni on the 18th of September, but I called up two weeks before and told them what uni I would be at and they put the order through with the full discount (not the smaller one).

edit: They will often ask for proof that you're at the university, so I wouldn't try it unless you're actually guaranteed a place.

5. mackinoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Hrmm Well in which case I will phone them up some time in the summer I can actually prove i'm going to the university as I have a letter from Ucas confirming my unconditional place.

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

If you call the hotline, they just ask what uni you're at.

You COULD make it up, or just explain that you are enrolling soon and would like the macbook set up for such time.

I'm sure that they would love to take your money now rather than wait and give you leopard with the system you buy in 5months time, rather than giving you Tiger and then you upgrading to Leopard, giving them more $$$.

7. mackinoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Hrmm I think I will just follow your advice and just phone them up, but I probably will wait untill leopard comes out whenever that will be. I can make do with this awful acer laptop for the time being, hopefully leopard wont take too long to be released

Thanks for the advice all.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

call the Apple Store 0800 039 1010 once you have your acceptance letter, probably after A Level results day, and say you are a HE customer with the letter and they should give you the discount, I'd recommend getting AppleCare for £50 as the standard HE three year warranty is a bit strange.

9. MichaelThomas macrumors member

Applecare for £50? how?

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

HE discount gives 16% off and 3 years labour and parts for your Mac.

11. MichaelThomas macrumors member

hmmm strange didnt know about that. knew it gave that much off but not off applecare too

12. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Yeah, I got eh 3 year applecare for £50. They I think they offer it to all HE customers.. although, i bought my 24" iMac before they brought in the 3 year warrenty for students, so I've no idea how upgrading to full applecare would make much difference.