Educational Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TheSith, Jan 2, 2005.

1. TheSith macrumors regular

Hi all,

I am junior in high school and plan on getting a Powerbook within the coming month. I plan to customize it (video card upgrade + hard drive upgrade). As I have recently been told by some helpful posters, I cannot get these things in the retail stores in my local area - I must order online.

On my previous two powerbooks (don't ask me why I've had two, a long story), I have gotten educational discounts via the retail store since I did not customize them. How would I go about this (legally) on the Apple website? I do not see a section for High School students and do not know what to do if I am to order online.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

2. Cabrini715 macrumors member

Cabrini715

did u try clicking education on the apple homepage and then clicking educational discounts on the top right of your screen? Then i think you just have to enter your high school's name and the discounts should automatically come about on the next page...

3. TheSith thread starter macrumors regular

That is for teachers - not students. I do not see a way to get a discount unless you are a college student, college teacher, high school teacher, or whatnot. Not high school student. :(

4. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

Here's a link: http://www.apple.com/education/store
    And here are some legal things:

As you may have already seen, as a high-school student you cannot get the educational discount. I once talked to an Apple Store salesperson and asked them how Apple verified that all online store ed. purchases were legit and the salesperson said that they don't. (Verify, that is.)

I would discourage you from abusing the system. (Not to imply that you would actually do it.) Since Apple's system for the online store is obviously designed to reduce their overhead but also to some degree means trusting the customer, a "spiked" interest in educational purchases might arouse some suspicions at Apple headquarters.

Try to ask one of your friends in college maybe to help you out. (I am not sure about the legality of this but when you ask a non-Mac person to help you with the purchase, they might be enlightened and choose to migrate to the new platform.) That could be of help for Apple in general.

Again, use some common sense when making this decision.
    Have fun with your new Mac!!

5. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Meh .. I think you're off better buying from a deal who doesn't charge you sales tax .. it starts to make a difference when you get to the higher end machines ..

6. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

Yeah, I would have to agree. Try to froogle your new PB.

7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Two things about doing this. One would be that I don't think anyone but Apple can upgrade the video card on PBooks. Two--make sure that you buy your PBook from an Authorized reseller. If you don't, Apple won't honor the warranty.

-Tim

8. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Well a dealer such as smalldog now offers a whole range of machines they have in stock [ with common BTO options as HD and Vram ] ..

And buying from anything but an auth reseller is indeed crazy ..

9. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

10. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I'm actually in a similar boat. I'm a junior, and I'm going to want to buy a powerbook soon. But I will be able to use the educational discount because I'm in an AP class through a local college, thus I'm enrolled in the college, qualifying for the discount. So check to see if you are in any classes that are through a college or whatnot.

11. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Haha .. I love smalldog .. though lately their refurb department has seen low inventory .. maybe because Apple is selling more and more of those ..

12. TheSith thread starter macrumors regular

I am a bit iffy about buying from a non-Apple store (don't know why) but this site does seem popular.

My grandma teaches Art at a college up north - I wonder if I can somehow work that out......?

13. PCtoMac macrumors newbie

Edu Discount for US only?

Hi, this is my first post here so I hope I'm not duplicating this question. (although I've been reading this forum so much trying to decide if I should switch or not, and I haven't seen this answered), This my question:

I called apple to ask about eligibility for educational discounts (I'm a student in Mexico) and they said they ONLY apply to students in the US. I'm pretty sure I've read posts from people getting Educational Discounts in other countries, so I was just wondering if the guy at apple was wrong or how do people in other countries got their Edu Discount?

I would have the order shipped to an address in the US, so shipping to mexico would not be an issue.

Anyone know anything about this?

P.S. By the way, thanks to everyone in this forum. Just reading this forum has me 100% convinced to switch to Mac. Can't Wait.......... :) PB 15"

14. shane-o-mac macrumors regular

shane-o-mac

The intent of Apple's policy is clear. If you do take the educational discount and are verified to not be an employee of your school then you would be required to refund any difference from the discount and original price at the time of purchase. There is a loop hole here: volunteer at your school, you then become a direct agent of the school and thus are entitled to a discount. The technical logistics can be debated, the bottom line is Apple would care less, your school would care less, and those who most need the discount would recieve it.