Educational discount

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hcuar, Jan 16, 2005.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I was looking at the educational discount on Apple's website. I figured if you had a K thru 12 student that you'd be able to use the discount. I noticed that the discount only seemed to apply to faculty, board member, etc. Is this true? It seems like a shame if parents are unable to use and educational discount to buy Macs for their kids that are still at home.

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It's only for faculty, sadly! :(

Though alot of people do cheat the system and buy with the discount, anyway.

3. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

WOW!!!! That's a MAJOR hole in their educational discount program! I'd think they would want to hook the kiddies early.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

You'd think... but it's Apple. It would give parents a great excuse to buy themselves a computer at a discount. Apple doesn't even check to make sure that buyer is a faculty member of the school, or is in attendance at a college.

5. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

They would lose a lot of money in the short run but it would pay off. :cool:

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Like someone else said...you can always use the educational discount anyways. Apple never does any background checks...at least in the US they don't. When I was in College I purchased more than the 2 software titles allowed for one school year and they never said anything about it. So you can pretty much get away with anything with the discount.

If you feel like you're cheating Apple by doing that, you can always ask a teacher, or other faculty member to purchase it for you and have it shipped to your house.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Or you could register for a class at a local community college and learn something new, like a foriegn language; plus be able to get the EDU pricing legally. :D

Rob

8. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I'm in High School but taking Calc at a local college. I qualify :D
    Using it for my Mac Mini

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

So you can get that sweet $20 discount!!! ;)

10. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

for the most part, if you go to College, the discount applies to students... but for K-12 schools, students dont get a discount... only faculty

did you know if you want to buy at an apple retail store, with an educational discount, you can just ask one of your nice teachers to write up a small paper saying its "OK" for you to buy an Apple Computer with their discount. thats what my dad did with my mom (she is the PTA President for my brothers school, and that qualify's for EDU discount).

funny thing is too, when I bought my Powerbook, I told them the college I went too, and he punched it up, and didnt ask for ID or anything. I did pull my ID out though but he just kinda 'waved' it away saying 'its ok'... i was like... ook

I've heard a couple odd-ball stories of Apple actually calling the school, then calling you.... but I dont know if thats true or not, seems like Apple just uses the honor system...

11. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

WRONG!

I've been asked to fax a copy of my student ID to Apple on three seperate occasions. They do perform random checks on education purchases, and I know people who have gotten caught cheating. Not only did these people get a strongly worded letter from Apple legal, they also had to pay full price for their order.

Abuse the system if you want, but don't complain if you get caught.

12. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Well then, I guess it's good for me that I didn't get caught taking the discount on my $3K PB last year!