Educational Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Razorhog, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Hey all, I've decided to save up some money to buy an iMac. I can get the education discount because I work for the public schools. Is the educational discount better than other "deals"? I will probably buy new, not refurb. I know there are promotional codes from time to time. I really don't know of any place to shop around...amazon sells them but only with the default configuration and I'd like to beef up some of the components. I've also looked at smalldog.com, but their prices seem to match those of the apple online store. Is it even worth it to try and "shop around" for better deals on Macs?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you're looking to custom-configure a Mac and you qualify for the educational discount, that's the best you're going to do. On stock models, Amazon is often cheaper when you combine their rebate with the fact that they don't collect sales tax), but for custom-configured Macs, Apple is the way to go.

3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

In my little bit of research, I think the best deal is with the EDU discount. You might be able to get the same price with a refurb--not sure though.

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I usually go with EDU.

For example. I could have gotten my Mac Pro from Macmall.com, they had it for 2494 with a $150 mail in rebate bringing it down to $2344. Not a bad deal. However, I would have had to wait for that rebate, or I can get it from Apple on the EDU for ~$2371.

There are better deals, but I would have had to pay more upfront and wait to save.

So, shop around just keep that in mind. Most Mac resellers deal in rebates.

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

there aren't typically additional codes or deals on the edu prices - that's already quite a bit of savings.

basically if you're going to BTO a computer, apple's education store is your best choice. if you're buying it stock, then check amazon because they often offer rebates that equal the student discount, but then additionally do not charge tax, so you save $100+ that way.

6. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Ok this is really strange... earlier today I looked up my school on the apple store and it was listed. I just tried it now and it's no longer there...

7. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog