Eeeewwww. ("Trimming XL Skin to Fit XS Body")

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hayduke, Dec 10, 2006.

1. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/medtech/0,72136-0.html?tw=wn_index_1

Discuss.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well at least she didn't let herself get too overweight at 500 lbs.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

Hundreds of thousands of people use this surgery for weight reduction? I wonder how many actually put forth an effort to radically change their lifestyle to lose weight.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I think that people who get to that weight have a problem not related to diet, so in a way I think the surgery is OK if it improves a person's life. Even fat people have a limit of how fat they'd grow if they eat whatever they want, and 500 lbs is above that limit for almost everyone. There's no way I'd get to 500 lbs even if I kept eating and didn't stop until I died. She just has a problem, that's all.

Diets are nice, but lets face it.......changing her diet wouldn't help her. She needed a jump start, and while I think her surgery was probably a bit much (ie: she should try something less effective and then do the rest of the job herself by diet and exercise), it still worked.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree. There is more to becoming overweight than just eating a lot and not moving.
    On that point, I don't know enough to agree/disagree. But it would seem that exercising for a potentially vastly overweight person could actually inflict more damage on the body (too much stress on joints and etc.) and she might have actually needed some weight loss prior to attempting further exercise.

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Unfortunately skin is not as elastic as we'd like it to be. However, someone who can get to 500 pounds is certainly not only looking at diet. I also would not mind at all stating with complete confidence that the excess skin lingering after a dramatic weight loss is actually more harmful and can cause severe stress on the inners. First it pulls at your body and eventually starts to pull at the organs in your body. The liver, kidneys, intestine...none of those were meant to be moved around that much. It can cause serious damage to you inside and out. So I believe after any weight loss if there is a certain amount of excess skin then once the diet has plateaued it would be important to explore such a surgery or one nearly like it. With that in mind I read the article and then was linked to this 17 year old's website Kylie C. This 17-year old was somewhere under 300 lbs and I'm certain that would mean she was about 150 pounds overweight. It makes me sick to see she had the surgery and her blog made me even more sick. Her latest entry was regarding people's perception of the weight loss surgery and how it is perceived as the easy way out. She is right, that is a perception because it is true. The question she doesn't bother answering is whether or not her vomiting, dumping, and whatever issue she has with going inside and ***** with her stomach (something that I am not so sure we're supposed to mess with), is what methods have statistically worked in the past for others. Was she unable to move at <300 lbs? Doubtful since she speaks of a boyfriend of 4 years. I am most certain he loves her for the inside, but if she were immobile then I seriously doubt she'd have that guy at such a young age. I have no problems saying that if you are 200+ lbs overweight, hell even 250 lbs overweight there is a method that is non-surgical that you can explore that will help you lose weight only marginally slower than the surgery (minus the weight you lose during surgery due to the fat sucking) and you will learn how to eat, drink, and exercise without worry of dumping or vomiting. She is going to be restricted for the rest of her life on what she can or cannot do with food. If she chooses to eat a taco instead of something full of the necessary vitamins then she will be full on tacos and miss that nourishment and wind up with other issues (which she wrote about). However, this other method will teach you how to make better food choices and show you that you can have the other stuff as well but you have to learn what you need to do to maintain your weightless. I happen to know this because unlike the people who have the surgery I saw early on that the surgery would have been great but I obviously got to a certain point by making bad decisions. Surgery doesn't fix your head or teach you what is really out there that is not as great as you thought it was. Surgery only gives you that boost. None of these patients have spoken of what new behaviors they've learned only that they look great and now they're waiting for their next surgery. Am I in a position where I'd need plastic surgery? Possibly, but then again I worked my ass off (literally) to undo what damage I've done without a surgery (quicker fix) and I am now a better person because I can make better decisions. I've seen so many people revert to old behaviors after surgery thinking they can't fit nearly as much food as they used to so there is no way they can regain all that weight and they have. Some have actually passed away because of the shock they've put their system into.

So yeah, to the OP...ewww is right. ;)

9. NJuul macrumors 6502

A gastric bypass is essentially a surgery enforced diet, as the capacity of the stomach is massively reduced making it impossible to eat more than approximatelty 1 dl at any one time. So a normal diet would be just as effective, is she only stuck to it. Unfortunately very few obese people are able to stay on a diet, making surgery the prefered solution to a problem that is actually psychological.

Obesity is the result of an excess intake of energy, nothing else.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It's not that simple, was my point. Every single body is unique. For one thing, metabolism varies wildly. And not having any medical training, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other factors that can have an impact.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Diet and exercise. I used to think that too, until I challenged an overweight friend of mine to eat only when and what I did. He could even sit around like couch potato if he wanted, but I did talk him into going to the gym with me to.

He thought he was going to die the first couple of days, but didn't. By the first week, he was already cinching up his belt.

Today he's not exactly skinny, but he dropped 150 lbs and doesn't have to use a cane or the freight elevator to get to and from work.

I'm sure that some people fatten up more than others given the same bad food, but when you eat vegetables and lean food with no fat and small quantities of that, I dare an overweight person to maintain their lard. Ain't possible.

13. NJuul macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, it really is that simple. Different people do have different metabolic rates, however, if a person requires roughly 2000 kcal par average day, and eats 3000, surplus energy will be stored for later use (fat). Someone else might on average require 3000 kcals (big, muscular guy), and he will not grow fat from eating the same sized meals. But if he starts eating at McDonalds 5 times a day with an average intake of 1000 kcal per meal, then that stomach will start growing real fast.

14. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Sure, metabolism varies wildly—but obesity, by and large (no pun intended) is primarily a result of a person injesting more calories per day than they expend through daily work or exercise.

The majority of morbidly obese people in the world are not victims of low metabolism. Rather, they are using food to cope with psychological issues that they have yet to come to terms with. That being said, if obese people in general would finally come to admit that they are responsible for their own well being and get off their duffs and commit to a daily exercise routine that meets or exceeds their daily intake of calories, then they'd be a lot healthier for it.

We need to stop being apologists for obesity and start being activists (pun wholeheartedly intended).

15. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

So, when people get up to 500 lbs, and lose it, do they retain their super strength ability to haul around 500 lbs?

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wasn't 500 but I can't lift what I lost if that makes sense. I can, but I'd be hurt.

17. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

If you don't mind me asking, do you think that's from losing muscle as you lost weight, or that maybe some other tissue helped support stuff before?

Like, maybe if, when people lost a lot of weight, they could wear some kind of backpack with weights in it, to keep up that lifting strength, and end up super strong. Olympics strong.

18. hal0n macrumors regular

that's probably not the best method. =/

19. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Interesting Timing...

Tomorrow a good friend of mine is having this exact same surgery done. She doesn't need it (in my opinion) but it is something she wants to do for herself. She will need to take 4-weeks off work to recover. It is obviously a major commitment. A female co-worker of mine (not the same person) has already had two of these "reshaping" surgeries and is booked for her third in January. Both of these women are in their mid-30's and they have lost apx 100lbs each through diet and exercise.

As a life-long big guy myself (200lbs when I was 12, now 300lbs at 39), that's something I'll have to keep in mind if/when I finally decide to join a gym and get serious about slimming down. But knowing that for me to ever look "good", I'll not only have to diet and exercise like crazy, but I'll also need to spend $20,000 on multiple surgeries -- that's a little intimidating. :(

Unfortunately this is a concern that a whole generation of teens and adults will have to face, now that fewer of us are digging ditches and more of us are sitting in front of computers for a living. It is a societal problem with some very personal ramifications.

20. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I don't know anything about this, but am wondering, couldn't someone choose to lose weight slowly, instead of quickly, to allow the skin to adjust gradually on its own?

21. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

This made me LOL a little:

22. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I cant stop laughing but its not because of what you said, its because I cant figure out why that wouldnt work. :)

Your right. A person who is 500LBS is used to carrying around 500LBS. So if they slimmed down to say... 200LBS, they should be able to lift some serious weight. And run faster and longer than ever before. Almost like they have become bionic. :confused: