Eeek! Have I got enough ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Smileyguy, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Hi guys (I mean that in a unisex way;))

I've started a couple of threads on here over the last few months searching for a laptop, and have at various stages been set on getting a mac or a PC. I thought I had finally found the perfect cheap little machine to meet my simple needs: a 1Ghz 14' iBook with 640Mb Ram. I spend 90% of my time on a computer on the net and word processing, listening to music, and doing some basic photo and quark stuff, so I figured this machine would be fine for a couple of years (I'd be happy to run it with Panther for the duration of its existence).

However, I've now found out that this was one of the earlier iBooks and the RAM is now maxed out (640 is max). I had sort of been hoping to have the option of expanding to a gig as a way to future-proof it a little bit. Stupidly, I've already half agreed to the sale. If the 640 will do me fine I'll go ahead and buy, but if I'm going to need more RAM I'll back out now. Any advice from you wise mac users?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

But 640mb is the max according to the specifications for this machine on the Apple website.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The 1 GHz 14" iBook G4 can take a 1 GB DDR PC2100 SO-DIMM.

5. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've read that specification page already. I'm still making sure the model is right. I've seen situations where Apple Vs. Actual can differ.

7. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

9. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's not enough for me running Tiger. I at least say 1 GB is enough. I can't call 768 MB passable on my iMAc G4 800 MHz.

11. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

Not so fast (haha) - my wife's iBook 12" G4 does fine with 256MB of RAM (running 10.2). If you're doing loads of complicated photoshopping it might get a bit slow, but if the price is right, buy it.

12. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

speaking of which, what is the price you're paying? A little more could probably get you a refurb MacBook, which will perform so much better...

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Refurbished MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo - White - $849

Refurbished MacBook 2.00GHz Intel Core Duo - White - $899

Refurbished MacBook 2.00GHz Intel Core Duo - Black - $999

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

15. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I can't afford a refurb Macbook, I've gotten a a deal on one of the ibooks for 500 euro, and I can't stretch beyond that. I'd appreciate any more input anyone could offer one whether the 640mb RAM will be enough or not. I've found a very similar price on a 12' iBook which has 768mb of RAM (and I am presuming therefore it can go to a gig or so). However, I'm going to be using this is my main and only desktop machine, and therefore I'm a little unsure if I want something as small as 12' for hours of daily work. So the questions I'm weighing up now are:

1) Will the 1Ghz 640MB RAM machine be enough to allow me to do what I want (Word, internt, music, iPhoto, quark and a little photoshop) for the next couple of years? Keep in mind I'm happy to run current versions of the software and have particular desire for any OS beyond Panther.

2) If the 12' with more RAM is the better option, is a larger monitor with a mirrored image a good option for when it's at home? Should I consider hacking for the span across two screens?

These are the two things running around in my head right now. Any help will be rewarded with, erm, lots of good karma or something.

Thanks guys,

SG.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd consider a final revision 12" iBook and the screen spanning hack then.

17. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

iDefrag/Diskwarrior/Cocktail!

I have tiger on my 700mhz G4 iMac and 256mb runs fine with the disk iDefragged and Diskwarrior'd every month (Not to mention using Cocktail a lil). I constantly have Safari, iChat, Acquistion, Xtorrent, iTunes, Textedit, System Prefs, Calculator, Preview, Quicktime, Classic mode, iPhoto and Photoshop open all the time (actually they're all login items). Not to mention that the guest account is logged in in the background. Only thing is, Dashboard is disabled. This thing doesn't even have DDR and yet everything is snappy and switching between apps and user accounts is fine. Before I tried iDefrag and Diskwarrior it ran like crap, and I was going to get a 512 stick to get it to 640 but now I don't have any intention of doing so since it runs great now. Maybe when Leopard 10.5.3 or so is out I might upgrade this machine (and the pbook) and then upgrade the ram. Seriously though, iDefrag is amazing, it will make even a new machine with a clean install run like 10% faster then it will from the factory. :D

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

More RAM is still a much better option then dealing with software. Enjoy your excessive page outs.