Eek, I'm being war-walked!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RedTomato, Sep 12, 2006.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    Posted in current events cos it's happening right now :)

So I'm sitting at my desk at my front window, and a barefoot guy comes walking past, holding a PC laptop open and powered up in front of him.

He takes a few steps, looks at the screen, takes a few more steps, and looks around, then takes a few more steps. At one point he shakes his head and backtracks a bit, then carries on walking a few steps at a time, looking at his laptop screen.

It definitely seems I'm being war-walked. At this moment, my network name must be showing up on his screen.

I'm not too bothered about security - I run WPA-(something) plus I only allow access to network card numbers that are on my approval list.

Something like dropping my security for a couple of seconds, then popping up a rude message on his screen when he connects would be fun.

Anything I can do?
  2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
  3. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    Bang on the window and hold up a large sign telling him to F**k off!!
  4. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
  5. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    Lovely ideas about the SSID thanks!

Wish I'd thought of it a bit sooner!

Dang, he's gone round the corner now. I can never remember the IP of my base station when I need it :)

Will craft something for future use. What's the maximum SSID length? I think it's about 32 characters?

Just googled and some routers apparently only take max 10 -15 characters :confused:
  6. notjustjay macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    I would have made it "GETSOMESHOES" :D

I'm a geocacher, and I have seen a puzzle cache I would like to copy... the name of my SSID would be the coordinates to a geocache hidden nearby, and people would have to wardrive along the road behind my house to locate the SSID and get the coordinates.
  7. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2006
    Clearwater, FL

I do that when I am bored.

Go scream at him!

Real loud.

I would be scared away.

One question. Do you have facial hair?

Cause I would be scared of a man with coarse facial hair yelling at me about internet.
  8. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Me too.

It's not illegal (yet) for him to warwalk, it's illegal for him to connect to your network. If he didn't connect then there's really nothing that you can do except for yelling at him because he didn't brake any laws.
  9. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    What's the easiest way to find out if someone is connecting to your network?
  10. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    somewhat, but not like Woz or Jobs in the old days or rms. Now these are hairy dudes.

I'm not really interested in scaring him, just having some fun. :)

I've done my own bit of quickly checking email via someone else's wireless network.
  11. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    Watching them walking past your window looking at a network sniffer on their laptop screen?

I'm on the 1st floor (the one above the ground floor) so I could see his screen, but not well enough to read the text on it.

I looked at the list of devices connected (on my wireless router) and found a strange one

00:14:51:db:b0:94 (- labelled inactive as he didnt have my WPA-PSK code.)

I'm pretty sure that's the hardware address of his mac card. I dont have a time of connection tho. I suppose I could try to dig it up in a router log file, but it doesn't seem worth the bother at the moment.

Getting familiar with your wireless station interfaces and logs beforehand, then checking them quickly seems the best way of finding out in a hurry if someone is trying to connect.

Some sort of utility would be nice but I dont know of any.
  12. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2005
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    To Be honest, No theres nothing much you can do these days. Your WPA wont stand a chance against most forms of attacks, only thing you can do is keep all your important/sensitive data off your laptop.

"Hacking hasnt been this easy since they invented the axe"