eek! L2 Cache = 0K

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pinks, Jun 11, 2003.

1. pinks macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2003
    I installed a new HDD in my Pismo yesterday and when I started up in os9 there was a warning about the L2 Cache: "Call an Apple technician" etc, etc.

System Profiler in OSX now says that L2 Cache = 0K. :confused:

Please tell me that I haven't damaged the logicboard or something - there must be another explanation for this, right! Right? The computer, apart from this, appears to be working absolutely fine...!

Anyway, if I have damaged it, can I continue to use the computer without doing more damage? I really don't want to have to pay for costly repairs when I'm hoping to buy a new PowerMac (within the next six months), if I don't have to.

Any advice greatfully received.

- Al :confused:
  2. f-matic macrumors member

Jan 6, 2003

i know the powerbook g3 lombard had some probems with the L2 cache failing.. i have to say it sounds like you have a similar issue, which if i remember properly does require the pb to be sent in for repair. try taking a search of the apple support forums to see if other pismo owners have similar issues or not.

if you do indeed need to replace it, may i recommend sending it in for a powerlogix upgrade instead of paying for the repairs? i imagine apple will quote you a pretty high number just to get the L2 cache fixed, whereas all you need is a working CPU to send into powerlogix and you can get it replaced with a G4 500mhz for $300 or G3 900mhz for $350 (with 512k of L2 cache, i believe).

3. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2001
    to make for sure simply go into os9, download cpudirector from powerlogix or gauge pro from and check it there also.
    you can also check xbench/sppedbench site and compare your performance to others to make for sure.
  4. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2001
    could be?

make sure the cpu ram and other chips /cablesare seated firmly may have gotten loose woth harddrive upgrade