Eek - need serial number help :S

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LastLine, Feb 2, 2007.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Hey all,

I've got a backup disk of a multi user license copy of XP professional I use for bootcamp, I write the serial number on the disk so I don't have to go to work to get it when I need it. However this time I made the mistake of putting the disk in my drive and not getting a note of the serial number. Can anyone help me with a solution here as I've already started going through the installation procedure...Eek

2. shecky Guest

shecky

i am almost positive you can eject the disk, put in the serial number, and then put the disk back in and be OK. i did this on windows computers before.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, abort the installation and write the serial number on a piece of paper and re-start the installation process.

Please don't ask for serial numbers.

4. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

That's what I was gonna say had you not have. Also, I've installed XP many times (more than I wanna count) and to my knowledge you won't need the serial until after you install/during when it specifically asks for it. Typically that's after the 2nd restart (IIRC).

Try that, and I bid you good luck.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't like to assume that people are cheating the system but I've installed Windows a few too many times to think that you just can't abort the installation now.

6. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Heh. You're right. I was just offering another method.