eek! zip file corrupted!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigandy, Sep 5, 2005.

1. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i backed up my iPhoto library using the finder's archive folder feature. the zip was burned to DVD. now i've copied it back, the disc was kept very carefully, and there were several copies, and each one says it's corrupt. Windows & WinZip can't open it, and it's 2.72Gb. I'm really really pissed, but don't want to spend huge amounts of money on getting it open. is there any way to see inside, or to extract them? i assume it's happened because of the 2gb barrier on DVDs, and that it's more than that. which i never checked before, stupidly.

can anyone offer any advice or help?

thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you dragging them to Windows Explorer before trying to unzip them?

3. bigandy thread starter macrumors G3

bigandy

i have a copy on my windows machine right now that i've copied over from the mac, using the mac. there is one app i've tried and after 3 hrs it said it could recover it but wants $150. :(

Winzip shouldn't have any trouble opening a mac zipped file should it?

4. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I understand. Why are you trying to open it on a PC? Did you try on the mac?

5. bigandy thread starter macrumors G3

bigandy

every mac i've tried it on just gives up. it's "not a valid archive". i put it on the peecee to see if winzip/winrar/anything could actually see the files. one or two can but they're charging an arm and a leg to actually be able to decompress it.

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

you might try, if you have two CD-ROMs or something, booting up in KNOPPIX or a similar bootable UNIX, mounting the DVD, and then:

<dd if=/mnt/dvd/archive.zip of=/mnt/harddrive/archive.zip>

or

<dd if=/mnt/dvd/archive.zip | unzip >

or something like this. Something tells me that doing the direct access stuff would get you past whatever problem this is, since apparently some of those bastards can recover the stuff.

7. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

There's no need to use another UNIX for this, since Mac OS X has those tools. Try copying the file to the hard drive and do a "unzip file.zip" first though.

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

to just add to your comment, copy the file to your home folder then goto terminal and type unzip file.zip ;)