Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I'm glad that he admitted that he knows almost nothing about Macs at all especially since he made that ridiculous statement that an iPhone would be more powerful than the PowerMac G5! And who would just put these in a dumpster?!

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I'm glad that he admitted that he knows almost nothing about Macs at all especially since he made that ridiculous statement that an iPhone would be more powerful than the PowerMac G5! And who would just put these in a dumpster?!

The latest iPhones ARE more powerful than the earlier Power Mac G5's. Look up the geekbench scores for yourself.

Reactions: redheeler

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
The latest iPhones ARE more powerful than the earlier Power Mac G5's. Look up the geekbench scores for yourself.

Ok, fine. I honestly didn't expect that. I knew they were getting more and more powerful but still wasn't thinking it was that much. Now Apple should just start putting those CPUs into their macbook lineup (but quad core instead of dual) and that would be great.

FINE.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
If he game them a try, he might find they're more useful than heavy doorstops. Not the greatest specs for G5s but whoever owned them did appear to max out the RAM and took the time to upgrade them to Leopard. I would bet they had the HDDs upgraded at some point too.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Now Apple should just start putting those CPUs into their macbook lineup (but quad core instead of dual) and that would be great.

The problem would not be power but rather the fact that OS X would need to be ported to a new architecture (ARM) and there would be a transitional period similar to PPC --> Intel. Unlike Chrome OS and Linux, OS X would most likely have issues running on both architectures simply because of the way the OS is designed.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
The problem would not be power but rather the fact that OS X would need to be ported to a new architecture (ARM) and there would be a transitional period similar to PPC --> Intel. Unlike Chrome OS and Linux, OS X would most likely have issues running on both architectures simply because of the way the OS is designed.

Who's to say Apple hasn't been secretly making ARM versions of OS X since they released the iPhone? ;) I can see an ARM-powered ultrabook within the next decade being very possible.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
In fact, the latest iPhone 6s will even beat many of the Yosemite-compatible Core 2 Duo Macs...
Ok, fine. I honestly didn't expect that. I knew they were getting more and more powerful but still wasn't thinking it was that much. Now Apple should just start putting those CPUs into their macbook lineup (but quad core instead of dual) and that would be great.

FINE.
ARM CPUs are catching up, but are still not quite there yet, especially with Intel Skylake about to give the Retina MacBook Thunderbolt 3 and a performance/battery life boost.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I can see an ARM-powered ultrabook within the next decade being very possible.

We are already there. There are some ARM based Chromebooks with very respectable specifications and benchmarks on the market like the ASUS C201. I am not sure that we would see Apple introduce one, as Thunderbolt and other technology depend on the Intel chipset.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
We are already there. There are some ARM based Chromebooks with very respectable specifications and benchmarks on the market like the ASUS C201. I am not sure that we would see Apple introduce one, as Thunderbolt and other technology depend on the Intel chipset.

I meant from Apple, but I agree that with Intel's current mobile roadmap it is less likely that Apple is going to make an Intel>ARM transition in the immediate future. But I do think that it is perhaps Apple's eventual goal to be "producing" (I use that term loosely) all hardware—including processors, as with the iPhone and iPad—themselves so they have more control over the design, specifications, and release.

Reactions: Altemose

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
But I do think that it is perhaps Apple's eventual goal to be "producing" (I use that term loosely) all hardware—including processors, as with the iPhone and iPad—themselves so they have more control over the design, specifications, and release.

I see that as a credible argument especially since the line of purpose between the MacBook/MacBook Air and iPad Pro is slowly fading away!

Greene

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2015
Fort Worth
This may be off base, but I heard that a very limited version of OSX has been ported by apple to the iPad air (specifically the air)

this might only be a rumor though...

But man, I'd hate for my intel macs to bite the unsupported dust the way PPC did. With Apple's seemingly quicker OS revision cycle, that would be a big pain and quickly.

Reactions: Altemose

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
This may be off base, but I heard that a very limited version of OSX has been ported by apple to the iPad air (specifically the air)

this might only be a rumor though...

While the newer iPads and even iPhones likely have the power needed to run a full OS like OS X, I doubt Apple would jump ship like that. Apple has since before Mr. Jobs' death stated that the iPad and Mac share two totally different purposes. This is particularly evident by the fact that Apple refuses to put un-ergonomic touch screens and 180 degree hinges into their computers.

Reactions: Greene

Greene

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2015
Fort Worth
Afaik, this is more of a "is it possible" project than a "let's switch mobile to OS X" project . If I recall correctly, most basic functionalities didn't work. I'll have to dig up where I found this rumor and post it, as it certainly isn't new by any means (again, I think I recall this from when the air has just come out)
Might this very limited version of OS X be called iOS by any chance? :)
This was a good one :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.