Effin Blizzard

Discussion in 'Games' started by mus0r, Mar 1, 2006.

1. mus0r macrumors regular

Yeah, so I'm canceling my WoW account. The servers are so over-populated that every one of them has a queue during peak hours and many of them (like my current server) are so error prone that the game is just not fun anymore.

So...

I need a new game. What else can I play that might be fun?

I'm not too big on shooters, though I do enjoy UT. I would consider another MMO, providing it was cheaper, had better servers and didn't require a lifetime of gameplay to progress. I'm a fan of horror games, but it seems that none of the ones I like get released on Mac...

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Hmm, I haven't had those problems on the servers my characters are on...

That said, in my experience WoW certainly seems like the MMO that takes the LEAST amount of time to progress, heh.

I've heard RYL was fun, as is Guild Wars... but I don't know anything about Mac compatibilty...

~ Hao

3. cubist macrumors 68020

I've had pretty good success after I completely moved to Suramar and got off of Vek'nilash. IME early levels are like 20 minutes per level, then it goes to about an hour per level, and in the thirties it can take many hours. Dunno what happens in the 40s & 50s... probably days or weeks.

I've heard that there are third-party WoW servers you can use. I don't know where they are, though.

4. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I agree. Blizzard needs to focus a lot more on expanding their servers, and actually having them in good working order.

$15 a month from every user is A LOT of cash. I don't think they are using it very wisely.

There are third-party servers where you can play for free, but you need to roll back a few versions of the game, and there are a lot of glitches.

I have a lvl 29 on Shattered Hand that I never play any more because of so much lag on that server.

I created a tauren shaman on a different server, and I'm so happy I did.

5. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I've had alot of problems with WoW the last couple weeks...I created a new charater on Kul'Tiras and already there is a huge queue during the time that I actually want to play. It's getting ot the point where I don't want to spend money on it anymore. I love hte game but if I have to sit in a queue, I lose the desire.

It's almost to the point where I can go ahead and buy an Intel-based Mini because I won't be playing this game anymore anyway.

It's just frustration that a good number of WoW players have had to face.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3rd party WoW servers? Somehow I doubt that.

More servers will come online.

7. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I've heard of 3rd party servers, where you edit some file with server info...but i've never done anything like it.

8. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

No, it's true. They are out there. Granted, I'm sure it's got to be illegal, you have to use an older version of the game, and there are problems - so is it worth it? Not IMO.

9. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Doom 3 is really creepy. Quake 4 is coming out soon and should have some awesome multiplay to it. An older horror which is good is Clive Barker's Undying. It's based off of the UT engine.

10. phill1234 macrumors member

phill1234

Good job by quitting wow !! :D :cool: I just quit to. Im playing W3 x-pack these days preety fun online

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

They exist...they run reverse engineered server software, and are illegal, very buggy and extremely laggy, though if you play on a so-called "fun server" it can be a fun diversion to level to 255 in 20 minutes and solo everything. :D

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'll tell ya what Blizzard needs to focus on - Starcraft 2. :cool:

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm I the only person in the world that don't have any interest in these type of games?....i've never tried them and i don't think i can get into them.

Bless

14. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

LOL! That would be pretty interesting.

A lone dwarf soloing Onyxia would make a sweet video (or, a remix of "The Hobbit" lol).

15. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I've experienced the full servers in my time... it definitely is frustrating, especially if the wait is 20+ minutes.

To tell you the truth, WoW is the only game I really got into playing on the Mac.

Star Wars Battlefront is pretty fun (at least on the console...i dunno about the Mac)

16. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Hear, hear!! :D:D

In regards to WoW, I don't have an account myself (too expensive, can't justify) but I've heard really good things about the game and the servers. Every now and then someone has a bad experience that I hear about, but generally speaking I think Blizzard has done really well with WoW.

That said, I'm sure more servers will come online. They're not going to want to drive away customers because of server lag, so I'm sure it's a high priority.

Now, if you want a nice and simple online game go here:

http://www.galaxisonline.com

Pretty fun, and you can be very involved or more casual.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Now the servers have queues, but at release and soon after, many servers would simply crash. I was low level at the time, but this would happen every night or other night:

1)Running around Duskwood.
    2)Kill a mob.
    3)Loot the mob....and you can't stand up.
    4)Slide around the world crouching....all of a sudden you can't chat anymore.
    5)There are no more NPCs
    6)You get signed off.

Every week or so, you wouldn't be able to sign back on for about 24 hours, and sometimes you'd sign back on and be dead without a corpse, or on the other continent.

Occasionally just Kalimdor or E.K. would go down, too, and you'd get booted and not be able to get back on if you tried to change continents.

To put it in WoW terms:

Cry more noobs, the queues are better than buggy servers.

18. FongMan macrumors regular

FongMan

hehe ok, this is a wierd question but i'm a noob so sue me. I have the MBP and i can't seem to minimize WC3, alt+tab doesn't work can someone tell me how to minimize? :p

19. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Apple+M

That puts it in mini mode, so the window is still open, it's just not in full screen.

If there is a way to hide it or actually minimize it then I don't know how to do it. ;)

20. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

that and Diablo 3 :)
    the comments i've heard about WoW are really two sided.
    some think it's boring, others think it's something they can't live without.
    personally, i stay away from WoW because i am afraid to get addicted :eek:

21. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If by "minimizing" u mean actually switch between open apps, they the combination is not alt-tab, like in windose, but Apple-Tab

Never played WoW, so I cant say if it works in this paticular game

22. FongMan macrumors regular

FongMan

koool that actually works, THANK YOU VERY MUCH :D

23. FongMan macrumors regular

FongMan

Yeh i know sorry coulsn't remember but that didn't work either. Apple+M works :)

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Agreed. But Starcraft 2 first. :p ;) :cool:

25. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

This, too, has happened about 3 times in the 6 months I've been playing. Not enough to get worked up over for me.