Egg Card UK 10% Cash Back GONE?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sreedy, Oct 7, 2005.

1. sreedy macrumors 6502a

After reading this MR thread about getting 10% instant cash back I decided to give it a whirl. Had a look on the site and it says you also get 10% back on iTunes but you ahve to follow the link.

The link just takes me to the iTunes download page, which I already have. So I registered my Egg card as my card in iTunes made a purchase and I can't see the instant cash back on my statement..... anyone know how this works for iTunes?

PLUS, the main 10% off Apple if you follow the link has gone off the main page I could only get to it by following the MR Threads link! Do you think this means they are going to stop it soon?

2. dcv macrumors G3

If you follow the Cash Back and Offers link you should see a page with offers in purple (lastminute, virgin, currys etc)... then in the bottom right corner is a green box that says "love cash back?"... click on that one and you should see a page of offers in green, including the 10% cash back at Apple promotion.

It is rather confusing... if you notice on the first page of offers it says 5% cash back at Currys, then on the second page it says 10% cash back at Currys :confused:

link

(edit: the link should take you straight to the second page i mentioned)

3. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahhh cool..... how about the iTunes one how do you get that?

4. dcv macrumors G3

I see the iTunes link on the same page, just above the apple one and to the right.

I haven't tried any of these links yet as my Egg card only arrived yesterday.

5. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes but that link just goes to the iTunes Download page..... nothing about registering you as an Egg Card Holder. I'm using my Egg card for iTunes purchases as of last week.

I've just had a thought, I'm looking at my current transactions and not a statement.... maybe the cash back only goes on once it becomes a statement.

6. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

There are two different egg cards. one appears to be part of a current account (i think) and the other is teh credit card with interest free transfer etc. They have similar but different cashback offers. This may be where the confusion is occuring.

7. dcv macrumors G3

Oh i see.... sorry i'm not too sure about that as i've not made any purchases with the new card yet... (fat lot of help i am!!!)

8. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

There is no confusion just an inability to see the link when logged into Egg! dietcokevanilla has rightly pointed me to the link and away I go, the only confusion now is how to get the iTunes cashback as the link just goes to the application download page and when the cash back appears on the online statement/transaction listings.

9. dcv macrumors G3

OK, please help... how do I even activate my new Egg card??!!

It says go to www.egg.com/activation and follow the on-screen instructions.

All i get is a login screen then it just goes to the "Your money" page.
    Do i have to register for Egg money manager? i thought that was something different.

Am i being a bit thick here, or should there be some sort of card activation link to follow? Also when should i get my PIN number?

10. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

hhhmmm I did mine over the phone so I'm not too sure on this.

Yeah that is something different, you don't need that.... it manages your non-Egg accounts that you tell it about (if you want to).

I'd give them a ring to activate it, I can see the view PIN part on the Your Money page it asks for the signature stripe number so you should be able to do that online.

11. dcv macrumors G3

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

OK so i just logged out of Egg on my mac (using Safari) and logged back in on my work PC (using IE) and it redirected me to a Card Activation page.

Just gave it a try in Camino and that worked, so I have now activated my card :) apparently i can log back in again to get my PIN details.

so Egg doesn't like Safari then? grrrrr.

12. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps it's just the activation as I use the main pages from Safari all the time..... welcome to the world of Egg!

13. dcv macrumors G3

Oh that's cool then. I can see my accounts and stuff in Safari. I just wasn't able to find the activation page that's all.

Now just keep me AWAY from that 10% cash back at Apple link....

14. rose red macrumors member

I just got the Egg card to take advantage of these discounts. Would it also include 10% off .Mac as well as iTunes?

15. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

If you have the Egg MONEY (Mastercard I think) card, it will give you 10% off pretty much anything at Apple Store BUT only if you buy following the link from the Egg web page. In theory anyway. Some people have been getting the cashback on things purchased over the phone too I think.

If you have the standard Egg Visa card, you get not a fat lot!

16. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's interesting as I have the Visa Card but when logged in I can see under cashback the link to Apple's 10% cash back..... I'm going to call them!

17. rose red macrumors member

It seems that I may have the wrong type of card, not used it yet. I'll try it out sometime on a small purchase and see what happens.

18. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Let me know how you get on but I can see the Cashback link even if I'm not logged in so I don't think that's indicative.

19. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right you do have to have an "Egg Money" Account as nomad01 mentioned..... which is a bit rubbish. As you say you can see the 10% cash back offer whether you are logged in or not.

Basically I have to apply for this new type of account to get this cash back offer!

DAMN them...... never easy is it!

EDIT: This "Egg Money" looks like some rubbish savings and credit card combined...I don't want this rubbish; I want to keep my debt and credit seperate and get some nice cash back!

20. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Nope and it's not clear at all from their website and I made exactly the same error! :mad:

I cancelled the Egg Card (with 7500 credit limit!) and reapplied for the Money Card but got declined! Bl00dy amazing! I suspect it's because I switch between cards a little too often and I already have 3 of them on the go but how can I be eligible for one and not the other!?

21. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is proper stupid! I was going to do this; but it's all become such a pain. I'm switching my iTunes account back to my MINT card and cancelling my Egg Card I've had for 5 years.

"Offer only open to this specific account" well you can get F'ed then.

22. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Sorry you've been having trouble with this offer. It's been working a treat for me.

I've had instant cashback off purchases from the Apple UK Online Store, without using the Egg link.

It does only work if you're paying using an Egg Money card though.

23. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Well they've thankfully seen sense now so my card is on it's way.

Ever had the discount if you've bought in an Apple Retail Store?

24. bollard macrumors regular

I was in the Bluewater store on sunday and bought a Tucano sleeve to protect my new Powerbook and paid for it with my Egg Blue card. I'm not expecting any 10% cashback but will post when it hit's my account.

25. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

No, haven't tried it and expect it wouldn't work.