egg recipes

Discussion in 'Community' started by trebblekicked, Jun 13, 2004.

1. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

eggs are one of my favorite foods. there's about a gazillion ways to make them. what are some of your favorites?

this morning, i made one of mine. it's ultra simple, ultra fast, and quite tasty.

3 eggs, scrambled w/ a splash of milk
    fresh ground melange pepper
    salt
    worcestershire sauce
    a splash of tobasco

but my all time favorite recipe has to be this:

san francisco omelet
    2 eggs, a splash of milk
    shredded goat gouda or goat feta
    caramelized onions
    slices of apple (preferably something tart)

if you live or find yourself in san francisco, make your way to the titanic café (on sutter not too far from the cable car). as far as i know they invented it. mine is pretty good, but alas it is a mere imitation :)

2. BaDBoY macrumors member

GOod ol' scrambled eggs work for me!

If i could cook, i would experiment more.

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i put 1/4 cup of whole milk, salt, pepper, little bit of cheyanne pepper, "shredded pork" (fried), topped with parmesean cheese... works great in a sandwich with a little mayo, and a splash of soy sauce. :)

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Tamago Yaki

I'll take a good batch of tamago yaki any day! :D

Sushi

6. craigdawg macrumors 6502

When I was little, my mom would crack an egg onto hot rice with a little shoyu and mix it up. Damn that was good. :)

I have no idea what it was called though.

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

next time i am there i wil check it out

one thing i learned from the food network about omelets is that they have to be mixed up very well for quite a long time to get that special texture...i had no idea and i used to just stir it up for a few seconds ;)

8. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I love a good defiled egg :)

Supposedly there is a fold on the toque for every way to cook eggs and there are 99 of them. :)

Eggs benedict is good but I have a true love for its fast food kin, the egg McMuffin.

10. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Since i work on my Dads (his family owns it) poultry farm, i really don't care for eggs that much anymore. I did however like them as a kid.

Our farm has about 2.5 Million birds total. I think that we are still one of the largest egg producers in north-west Ohio.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Tamago = egg. Not necessarily quail egg.

Tako yaki, or "Taco Balls" as we call them for fun, is pretty good. But I would say the taste is more for the tako and batter than the egg.

Now I do like the quail egg (raw) with negi-toro sushi.

Very delicious!

Sushi

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes it is.

Very common breakfast style -- especially at the ski areas.

Really good if you use some seaweed to wrap around with your chopsticks.

Sushi

13. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

i meant my gf would put a thin layer of the batter, then drop in a quail egg, then put the piece of tako inside the yolk, then put some batter on it, then some goma on top... then flip it over in the little yaki iron

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Oops. Forgot to answer your implied question.

My friend makes wonderful tamago yaki in his yakitori shop.

It takes about 15-20 minutes to make a good one.

If you've had sushi with the cooked egg on top, that is basically the same style of egg. It is layered and a little sweet. However, my friend's tamago yaki has more flavor and is more layered which helps give it flavor. And it is so tender, it just falls apart on your plate. Very lightly cooked.

First he scrambles some eggs until they are very well scrambled. Smooth consistency. This is very important.

There is a special frying pan used to make tamago yaki. It is a heavy pan about 4x6 inches and about 1.5-2 inches deep. Three ends (left, right and handle side) are square. The far end is curved up and is the secret to being able to make tamago yaki.

He pours a thin layer of scrambled egg onto the pan. A very thin layer. Then cooks it lightly. Using the curved end, he flips if over and over. But not like you would do with a utensil. Rather it is sort of a liguid/soft form when he does it. Once this soft layer starts to harden a bit, he then starts adding another thin layer and repeating the process. This takes a long time to create a thick cooked egg product.

During this process he adds stuff for flavoring. The finished taste is somewhat sweet, but not sweet, grilled but not grilled. Sooooo Gooood!

The finished product is a chunk of egg. If you cut through it down the middle you will see the layering and the flavoring. I say flavoring because he has yet to tell me what goes into his pride and joy. I am sure some of it is white and brown sugar. But there is more to it for sure.

Sometimes I feel guilty ordering this because it takes so long to prepare. But the taste is out of this world. BTW, one night I really was into it and ordered a couple. Then ordered a third. He made the third one quickly to give me a hint to order something else. It was not layered as thin. Nor was the flavoring added the same way. It tasted very different from the well prepared versions. So now, I just order one and eat it slowly savoring the experience as long as I can.

God I'm hungry! :eek:

Sushi

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Now that sounds good!

Is the tako boiled or raw?

In the FWIW department, most sushi places use boiled tako. Some places serve raw tako which is really good when fresh.

Sushi

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Wow, that is a big bird farm! How many acres did it cover?

BTW, grew up on the farm. Raised seed (soybean and winter wheat) and beef breeding (Muray Grey and Angus).

Ran my friend's dairy in HS. Small one. Only milked about 50 head.

Sushi

17. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

umm.. they use boiled tako, but other stuff is raw, like they (her and her roomy) had squid and scallop once.
    Another time, it was "vegetarian" night... and it was all konyaku (sp).. which was fine and all, but i like meat.. LOL

I do like her yaki iron though, it has little cartoon octopus is places so when your making the balls, you can have little characters on your food... :)

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nothing like some good fresh hotatai. Can get good ones at the local grocery store that are about 1.5 inches diameter and about 3/4 to an inch thick. Wonderful as sashimi, sushi or lightly grilled with butter and garlic.

Colorfull food! Presentation is key. The true Japanese way! :D

Sushi

19. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

damnit you, make me hungry again.. :mad:
    good thing lunch is in 30 minutes. :)

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Oh Oh! :eek: :D

Sushi

21. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Is this the most unlikely and off-the-wall Macrumors thread ever? :D

---

Call me crazy, but I love the pre-packaged egg salad sandwiches you get from your local convenience store (7-11, QuickTrip, etc.). No recipe needed... just pull back the plastic and enjoy.

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its odd all of these japanese egg recipes.

Here is a more American one.

When I was a kid we used to add egg to the milk shakes, not sure why. Mom did it, we did it.

2 scoops vanilla ice cream (REAL vanilla)
    2 tbsp chocolate syrup (Hershey's)
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    1 tsp orange extract

Run in blender until smooth.

23. craigdawg macrumors 6502

What do they call it in Japanese?